Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ed-hawco

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 1, 2009
Montreal, QC
I have a 2009 Mac Mini (bought in Sept. 09) with 4 GB RAM. I want to move up to a Dell U2711 27" monitor (2560x1440), but I'm not sure this wee mini will be able to drive that. I do photography, so I want a killer monitor that has awesome color, blah blah blah, and BIG.

Anyone here know if the graphics card can handle a monitor that big? (I mean without compromising color depth or whatever...)

Apple's web site says this:

Simultaneously supports up to 1920 by 1200 pixels on a DVI or VGA display; up to 2560 by 1600 pixels on a dual-link DVI display using Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter.

Its that part in bold that I don't get. What's a "dual-link DVI display using Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter?"

Huh?

Thanks!

redmac

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2008
San Francisco
Apple's web site says this:

Simultaneously supports up to 1920 by 1200 pixels on a DVI or VGA display; up to 2560 by 1600 pixels on a dual-link DVI display using Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter.

Its that part in bold that I don't get. What's a "dual-link DVI display using Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter?"

Dual-Link DVI Adapter comes with Mac Mini. You can use it to connect a display with dual-link DVI input. It supports higher resolutions than an HDMI connection.
I believe the Dell that you are planning to buy has that input. Otherwise you can always use a DisplayPort to HDMI adapter.

Ptyger

macrumors demi-god
Nov 20, 2008
Knoxville, TN
Before you shell out the money for Apple's buggy mini DP -> Dual-link DVI adapter, I believe that the Dell U2711 has a displayport in connection. You should be able to use a mini DP -> DP cable available at monoprice to drive the monitor, and that will save you a few bucks.

I'd post a source link for the information confirming this, but I can't seem to find the monitor on Dell's website any longer. However, the link below should take you to the cable you need on monoprice which sells for $4.77.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10246&cs_id=1024606&p_id=6006&seq=1&format=2

Good luck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.