Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adammjenkins

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 15, 2009
West Virginia
The updates to the Mac Mini usually seem modest due to its consumer rather than professional target market. Anyone feel like weighing in with their predictions for the next update? The obvious answer is that it will see a spec bump, but any predictions on design or processor changes?

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Low-end

2.4GHz C2D
2GB DDR3
320M graphics with 256MB of shared DDR3
250GB HD

High-end

2.66GHz C2D
4GB DDR3
320GB HD

It won't be a major update...

-SD-

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2009
Peterborough, UK
I don't see why the top end Mini couldn't get a 330M with its own 256/512MB of memory as an option. Maybe towards the end of the year after all the iMacs have had a spec bump.

:apple:

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
I don't see why the top end Mini couldn't get a 330M with its own 256/512MB of memory as an option. Maybe towards the end of the year after all the iMacs have had a spec bump.

Mini has never had a dedicated GPU, that's why. I would love to see one with, but when looking at the past, it feels unrealistic :( It used crappy Intel GPU for YEARS, so even 9400M was a huge bump, let alone what 320M will be

wisty

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2009
MacMini has generally been very similar to the white plastic MacBook in terms of specs.

-SD-

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2009
Peterborough, UK
Mini has never had a dedicated GPU, that's why. I would love to see one with, but when looking at the past, it feels unrealistic :( It used crappy Intel GPU for YEARS, so even 9400M was a huge bump, let alone what 320M will be

I'm aware the Mini has never had a dedicated GPU, and it really is terrible that Apple limit their product line in such a way. There's absolutely no reason why the Mini couldn't be given a decent GPU especially with all this attention Steam has been getting.

For the record, I totally agree with your spec predictions. I'm almost sure that's what we'll get and it's a shame.

johnnymg

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2008
snip...............

High-end

2.66GHz C2D
4GB DDR3

snip...............

Replace the HD with an SSD and replace the optical drive with a large fast HD and you would have a pretty capable desktop computer. It would even be decent ghetto video editor.

Aug 26, 2008
Seems like they could do so much with the mini if they removed the stupid super drive and made it an external option. I don't really trust Apple to do much cool with it though.

-SD-

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2009
Peterborough, UK
Seems like they could do so much with the mini if they removed the stupid super drive and made it an external option.

That would be awesome. It wouldn't surprise me though if the Mini eventually did loose its Super Drive. Apple doesn't seem to be the biggest fan of optical media and the Mini Server does look very nice.

speedwaygirl

macrumors member
Apr 30, 2010
That would be awesome. It wouldn't surprise me though if the Mini eventually did loose its Super Drive. Apple doesn't seem to be the biggest fan of optical media and the Mini Server does look very nice.

Agreed. I would much rather have the extra hard drive space and use an external optical drive when necessary!

dh2005

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2010
Seems like they could do so much with the mini if they removed the stupid super drive and made it an external option. I don't really trust Apple to do much cool with it though.

Yeah, I must say, the alleged "Super Drive" is a load of old crap. It's noisy, and very slow.

I could live without it, quite happily.

belltree

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2008
Tokyo, Japan
When the new Mac mini will be released? I bought it today, May I have to wait for new one? though it is to late:)

My bet is the new Mini will be released by end of June at the latest. I am forecating the below:

CPU - Core i5
GPU - 330M 256MB *edit (thanks for pointing out the obvious miss on my part, flopticalcube!!)
RAM - 2GB standard (4GB, 8GB options)
HDD - 320GB standard (640GB option)

No new case or ports (USB 3.0 won't appear on Macs until Fall 2010 or Spring 2011 :( IMO)

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
My bet is the new Mini will be released by end of June at the latest. I am forecating the below:

CPU - Core i5
GPU - 320M 256MB
RAM - 2GB standard (4GB, 8GB options)
HDD - 320GB standard (640GB option)

No new case or ports (USB 3.0 won't appear on Macs until Fall 2010 or Spring 2011 :( IMO)
i5 cannot be used with a 320m. The 320m is integrated with the logic chipset and needs an external memory controller to allow shared access to the RAM. The i5 has the memory controller (and its own crappy GPU) onboard. The two cannot be used together and Apple would have to go for a discrete video chip like the 330M which it won't do because that would place the mini above the 13" MBP (both GPU and CPU-wise).

Jarooda

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2007
Ottawa

Actually it used to always have a dedicated GPU. It wasn't until the intel Mac Mini's came out that they switched to using integrated options.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Actually it used to always have a dedicated GPU. It wasn't until the intel Mac Mini's came out that they switched to using integrated options.

Yeah but it used AGP and they were worse than the integrated Intels. They were low-end dedicated ones anyway. Apple could use 305M which is dedicated but as slow as 9400M so it's 1-1 situation. Mini just cant be better than low-end iMac plus it has followed 13" MB and MBP in last updates

MacSA

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2003
UK
And for UK customers, there will be a price increase - I think it will cost £549 for the low end model. When the G4 Mini fist arrived, it sold for £339:(

archipellago

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2008
Mac Mini

Apple's no-frills desktop just got a spec increase and added a server model in late October. It shouldn't be getting any more updates any time soon, which is a shame, because it's still not a very competitive product for the price.
Recommendation: DON'T BUY unless you insist on Apple, even when it flies in the face of all logic

still the most relevant quote (from gizmodo) on all mini related buying discussions.. ;)

AAPLaday

Aug 6, 2008
Manchester UK
Mac Mini

Apple's no-frills desktop just got a spec increase and added a server model in late October. It shouldn't be getting any more updates any time soon, which is a shame, because it's still not a very competitive product for the price.
Recommendation: DON'T BUY unless you insist on Apple, even when it flies in the face of all logic

still the most relevant quote (from gizmodo) on all mini related buying discussions.. ;)

The White MacBook was updated recently

mrwonkers

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2004
Cyberia
Mac Mini - Superheroes of Silcon Special Edition

My prediction is as follows

2010 Mac Mini - Zune Brown Polycarbonate - Scratch N Sniff Scent of Steve Balmer Edition

The new mac mini will receive a minor speed bump but will be released in iConical brown plastic', this edition will outsell all other macs combined. I know I'll pre-order one for each room in my kabana beach house.

I really am looking forward to this odiforous offering once you've had a scratch n sniff mini you'll never go back

Attachments

• Mac_mini.jpg
    Mac_mini.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 1,341

cherry su

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2008
Back in 2005 (and for the first two months of 2006), the Mac mini had an ATi Radeon 9200 connected via AGP. The first couple of revs came with 32MB, but the last rev of the high end model came with 64MB (and supported Core Image :eek:) right before it was phased out for the Intel mini. Ever since then, the mini had integrated graphics.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.