Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alexandra91

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 6, 2016
Hi there,

I have a really simple problem that I want to solve the very hard way. I have a mac mini 5,2 (radeon graphics) I bought brand new in 2011, and it get replaced logic board in 7 month or so under warranty. It was almost not used since.
Booted it yesterday after a year and got a huge stability problem - it crashes (GSOD on OSX, BSOD in Bootcamp) as soon as temperature of something inside reaching ~50 Celsius. After the crash it crashes constantly on boot till you let him cool down. As a advanced user and overclocker:

I did change of thermal paste,
I even have to put it in fridge to install El Capitan
I did kinda solve overheating problem using SMCFan set to take off speed 5000 rpm. It is too loud to use, but CPU temperature is 35-45 degrees and it works stable.
I did underclock CPU using windows power settings at 50% it looks stable so far.
I did change memory and run tests.

The diagnostics show error in CPU current sensor (SNS4 IC0c). I did check it using CPU-Z and voltage kinda normal. The other thing I noticed that replaced logic board has no serial number and shows 8 cores under hardware profile tab in diagnostics. I did write serial number back, it wont solve overheating problem.

Before I go to repair shop and pay money to hear I have to change logic board again (like I don't know that), can anyone help me with advice on how to keep using it as is?

Can I write fan speed to SMC to keep it max on start?
Can I underclock the CPU as startup?
Can I read SMC sensor settings?

Should I bake it or cool it?

Is anyone experienced that error, what possible causing it, except CPU?

Thanks for any suggestions!

vXCWKvG.jpg

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.