Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Smexhy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 5, 2017
Hello, I just bought used Mac mini 2012 from the ebay. Everything works fine, it has great specs (i7, 16GB RAM, 240GB+1TB Fusion Drive...), but........when I started it for the first time, I immediately installed update on High Sierra, so I don't know how boot was going on Sierra actually. But on HS, the progress bar under apple logo is loading like for 5 minutes approximately. First half of the progress bar is loaded in few seconds, next is the hell.

Do you know, what could possibly help, to fix this issue or determine what's the issue here? I already ran disk checking (I mean that thing in Disk Utility to save your disk or something...)..it was doing something, but it didn't help.

Thank you.

PS: The user logging and speed of disk itself when logged in is just great.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Could be the internal drive setup.

If it has a 240gb SSD -and- a 1tb HDD, I'd "UNfuse" the two drives, and set the SSD to be the boot volume, and the HDD to be "just another standalone drive" inside.

But you'd have to back the whole thing up first.

Smexhy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 5, 2017
If I don’t have any useful data in there, do I have to backup?

Also there is verbose o 3 mins timeouts because of some error:
Mkft3E6_d.jpg

This have to be the reason! But what does it mean?
[doublepost=1507300146][/doublepost]Okay, I managed what the problem is, but no how to solve it. When I have connected USB headphones to the Mac mini (in the USB port obviously, it’s making boot for 3-4 minutes longer. I have no idea what’s the reason for this, but you can see some “USB” logging in verbose which image I posted here.

Do you have any idea why?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"When I have connected USB headphones to the Mac mini (in the USB port obviously, it’s making boot for 3-4 minutes longer."

When a Mac begins to boot, one of the first things it does is "scan the buses" (including the USB bus), looking for drivers and drives, and other stuff on the bus.

Perhaps when it "sees" the USB-connected headphones, the OS is mistaking it for [what could be seen as] a "USB drive", and thus tries to load drivers "that aren't there". Or perhaps the Mac is "confused" by the headphones, not sure what to make of them, and keeps "querying" them again, attempting to discover what they are.

In any case...
... the solution is simple.

IF you know this to be "the problem", just unplug the headphones before booting.
"What works.... works."

Reactions: Smexhy

Smexhy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 5, 2017
"When I have connected USB headphones to the Mac mini (in the USB port obviously, it’s making boot for 3-4 minutes longer."

When a Mac begins to boot, one of the first things it does is "scan the buses" (including the USB bus), looking for drivers and drives, and other stuff on the bus.

Perhaps when it "sees" the USB-connected headphones, the OS is mistaking it for [what could be seen as] a "USB drive", and thus tries to load drivers "that aren't there". Or perhaps the Mac is "confused" by the headphones, not sure what to make of them, and keeps "querying" them again, attempting to discover what they are.

In any case...
... the solution is simple.

IF you know this to be "the problem", just unplug the headphones before booting.
"What works.... works."
Yep, you are right. I disconnected them, because I decided that Steelseries Arctis 5 gaming headset is not that needed for my Mac, as I have pair of AirPods, which are wireless and apple friendly. From 4 minutes boot changed to 9 seconds. Impossible, but I am very happy, because 4 years old Mac mini is powerful as hell, believe me.

And if I really would like to have my gaming headset on macOS, I am able to connect it with jack, which worked just fine when booting too.

Also, I can try sometime to install official drivers for this headset, as Steelseries has official macOS driver. Just an idea because you said it's "looking for drivers...". But yeah, the main issue was fixed and I am happy more than enough.

Thank you all for the answers guys!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.