Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sory07

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 30, 2018
Hi guys,

Is Mac mini 2014 2.6 ghz (i5), 8GB, version with HDD still viable in 2018 ? I want to get into IOS development, mainly with Unity. I will not use it for desktop/console games but my concerns are about the small mac will not be able to keep with the latest osx (high sierra) and xcode + unity. Thanks in advance !
And if is viable, do i really need a ssd ?

vddobrev

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2016
Haskovo, Bulgaria
Yes, SSD is absolutely necessary, and I am not talking about a fusion drive but pure SSD. Upgrade the Mac mini at the time of purchase to an SSD.

I use my Mac mini from the signature as a secondary workstation for development - Java, SQL. It handles macOS High Sierra just fine, and is an OK machine but not super fast. One thing to note is if you plan to use it with a 4K monitor, it can only drive it up to 30Hz refresh rate.

Sory07

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 30, 2018
I will mainly use it with a full hd monitor, i will take in consideration to change the HDD with a SSD, thank you for your answer, i will now look for a used mac mini 2014 or a imac 2015 (non 4k version) .

strawbale

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2011
French Pyrenees
Yes, SSD is absolutely necessary, and I am not talking about a fusion drive but pure SSD. Upgrade the Mac mini at the time of purchase to an SSD.

I use my Mac mini from the signature as a secondary workstation for development - Java, SQL. It handles macOS High Sierra just fine, and is an OK machine but not super fast. One thing to note is if you plan to use it with a 4K monitor, it can only drive it up to 30Hz refresh rate.

What about a (used) 2014 model with a spinner (easier to find) and an external SSD with OS (and other apps)?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.