Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

loon3y

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 21, 2011
I need to purchase new Mac Minis for our office but we’re a small company and the iOS/Android department is not our main department (We are an ERP software company)

I feel like 16GB is the standard i might have to purchase 4-5 of these. Would the 8GB be enough or should i just get 16GB just in case?

We may or may not, install parallel desktop for the iOS developers install a test DB using SQL on windows and our main ERP software (windows based program)

dantastic

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2011
Personally I feel 8gb is a bit constrained. Even just using Xcode and a bare minimum of apps. Waste of time to be honest.
16gb isn't a huge amount of ram these days but it will allow you to run Xcode smoothly. 16gb is probably the absolute bare minimum if you also want to run VMs on the same machine.

Reactions: Mascots and TokMok3

jeffkempster

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2008
What’s an ERP? This part about running windows in parallels as the test DB sounds painful. Can you not setup a test server? You can run many SQL type databases on the Mac. If you are trying to run both operating systems then 16gb would be the minimum.

We may or may not, install parallel desktop for the iOS developers install a test DB using SQL on windows and our main ERP software (windows based program)

harriska2

macrumors 68000
Mar 16, 2011
Oregon
With 8 gb everything ran OK except youtube and finder. Both lagged. Just upgraded to 32 and the issues are gone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.