Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Capt Chuck

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2020
After many months of Bluetooth problems trying to use my Magic Trackpad (old style) and Magic Keyboard on my new Mac mini 2018, my Bluetooth and WIFI problems are gone. I had to use my wired mouse and keyboard and wired internet to think about using any of my equipment to do anything. My setup is a Catalina 10.15.5 Mac mini with 3.2 GHz 6-core intel Core i7, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 connected to two 42"LG HD TVs using TV 1 with HDMI connector and TV2 with a USC-c to HDMI cable. Also connected at the same time are two/or three Scan Disk extreme 1 T SSD drives, Roland GO:piano USB, Yamaha MG 10XU mixer USB and sometimes I use a eCpu Razer Core X with a Gigabyte RT 5700 XT (to use my airplane simulator or apple games). I have been reading this thread for months and trying everything with no solutions to my Bluetooth cutting on and off problems. As you can tell, I am using all of my Mac mini output ports. Before finding my solution, I did purchase two shielded USB cables to run my a USB hub four feet away to run all my musical USB equipment, but did not change any problems encountered. I had resigned myself to using no WIFI or Bluetooth so I could do my music and games. By accident I rearranged my desktop to make things look nicer. The two LG TVs are to the back of the desk, one wall mounted and the other on the right angled with desk feet. To save space I stood the Mac mini on its side, power switch up, outputs facing the front of the desk and the round bottom facing me in back of the angled TV. There is six inches of space under the angled TV, so I can see the Mac mini. Everything started working. I have since moved my USB piano and USB mixer back to the desk in front of me. No more issues with Bluetooth keyboard or Magic Mouse. I can use WIFI or wired internet in any combination to the computer or two monitors. In fact, I can now put my MacBook Air in front of me using any of the wifi, USB or Bluetooth connections. Here is my final proof. If I lay the Mac mini down (round bottom on the wooden desk), my Bluetooth goes crazy. I have tried all directions lying down. As soon as I stand the Mac mini up with the round bottom facing the room. Everything works fine. I did try to place the Mac mini standing on its side with the outputs in other directions, but with so many times I need access it is most handy for the outputs to be accessible. I am a retired Sea Captain with very limited electronic education. I have tried every combination of ideas and now it works with everything within three feet of the computer as long as it is on its side with the circle facing me (looking at it from under the angled TV. Sorry for the long explanation. I wanted to cover all the details for all of you technical people. Hope this gives some idea to resolve anyones problem.

MevetS

Cancelled
Dec 27, 2018
So, I just spent the better part of an hour trouble shooting why my Magic Trackpad 1 wouldn't stay connected. Curiously, my Satechi Compact Keyboard was working just fine. That should have been a clue ...

I could get the trackpad to connect momentarily. And then the dreaded "Connection Lost" message would appear.

Long story short ... the batteries were dead. D'oh!

Luckily I noticed the battery icon flash in the menu bar next to the Bluetooth icon.

I was so primed to believe it was a problem with the Mini that I immediately thought it was a an interference issue.

I did clean up the mess of cables under my desk. So that's a plus. Right?

Reactions: satcomer and Boyd01

vinceremedy

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2020
So it seems my issues haven't improved since my post back in April, having bought a new 6 core Mac Mini.
Working from home constantly just reminds me how many times either bluetooth or even wifi drops. It even dropped whilst writing this post!

Thoughts for all those on here as to what I should do next?
Because spending over £1000 for something that cannot maintain a reliable connection is very disappointing, so do i do the following?

A) Take this this Mac Mini back and swap it for an iMac/Macbook?
B) Buy a USB C external hard drive replacing my USB3 TM HD alongside purchasing a USB C to USB A hub alongside to cut my ties to USB3.0?

dUnKle

macrumors regular
May 28, 2020
So it seems my issues haven't improved since my post back in April, having bought a new 6 core Mac Mini.
Working from home constantly just reminds me how many times either bluetooth or even wifi drops. It even dropped whilst writing this post!

Thoughts for all those on here as to what I should do next?
Because spending over £1000 for something that cannot maintain a reliable connection is very disappointing, so do i do the following?

A) Take this this Mac Mini back and swap it for an iMac/Macbook?
B) Buy a USB C external hard drive replacing my USB3 TM HD alongside purchasing a USB C to USB A hub alongside to cut my ties to USB3.0?

i was having all sorts of problems when using the “normal” USB ports

Bluetooth headphones not working, watching not unlocking etc, etc

so, for around ten quid, I purchased a cheap usb c hub, plug all normail usb into that and leave my Mac mini ports empty

now have no issues

vinceremedy

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2020
I did try those USB C to USB A dongles but no joy and in fact made it worse, probably as had introduced a USB 3.0 dongle so close to the machine again?

Which USB C hub did you go for - can you post a link?

dUnKle

macrumors regular
May 28, 2020
I did try those USB C to USB A dongles but no joy and in fact made it worse, probably as had introduced a USB 3.0 dongle so close to the machine again?

Which USB C hub did you go for - can you post a link?

I believe this is the one I went for

So my usb devices plug into this which connects to Mac mini usb c

Now my watch works, my headphones work and no issues with magic keyboard or Logitech mouse

Reactions: vinceremedy

Gordon Barker

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2020
This seems to work for me, also raising the hub so its not on the same level/surface seems to make a big difference. Whilst working at home I had my hub right next my Mac mini (it was a new purchase whilst in lockdown) and had virtually zero dropouts, but coming back to my studio my mouse issues returned with a vengeance even though I spread everything out.

I have now raise the hub off the desk, to about head height and not had a dropout for at least an hour... here's to the next hour!

vinceremedy

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2020
As a last ditch test and attempt to live with my mac mini whilst i decide what to do next, I have plugged in the following configuration.

A USB C to USB A 3.0 dongle in to one of the USB C sockets on the mac mini
I have then attached a USB A 3.0 extension cable to this
I then have a USB 3.0 Hub on the end
With my USB 3.0 external hard drive plugged in to that

It seems better, i didn't have a bluetooth drop out on my magic mouse yesterday - will be reviewing BT and the wifi over the next week or so and will see, what a ridiculous requirement to have the mac work as expected!

Given its only a few months old I feel John Lewis will Listen to me and let me exchange for another Mac if this doesn't work out.

Reactions: arkitect

beantown06

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2012
I believe this is the one I went for

So my usb devices plug into this which connects to Mac mini usb c

Now my watch works, my headphones work and no issues with magic keyboard or Logitech mouse

Plus 1 on this dongle...I was about to return my new mac mini until i bought this. Now everything plugs into this and nothing gets plugged into the USB A slot

steve217

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2011
NC
Plus 1 on this dongle...I was about to return my new mac mini until i bought this. Now everything plugs into this and nothing gets plugged into the USB A slot

Beantown- what’s the model name/number?

I’m in the US and that link keeps sending me to the American site with a list of different USB hubs.

I would like to get the specific one you’re using.

MrDoh

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2019
Just installed the Big Sur Public Beta on the 2018 mac mini a few days ago, and thought that I'd revisit the bluetooth mouse issues that I had with previous releases. Had issues even with a bluetooth dongle plugged into my wired USB keyboard, about 6 inches away from the mouse. Well, I've been using my bluetooth mouse now with the Beta for a few days, and it's working just fine.

Interesting. Think I'll stay with the Beta *smile*. Seems pretty stable at this point, as well. No problems yet.

One oddity, though, is that the mac's internal bluetooth controller seems to be on sabbatical. I have bluetooth explorer running, and still only see the external bluetooth dongle. Not a problem, since the internal bluetooth wasn't actually working well anyways, and this is more of a desktop than a portable computer for me *smile*. Just interesting.

Update: Have been having some problems keeping the mouse connected over restarts. Researching that one, but am open to suggestions?

Last edited:

Daniva

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2013
Italy
If your router supports 2,4GHz and 5GHz networks, set the Mac mini 2018 "System preferences" > "Network" on 5GHz wi-fi frequency. This helps to avoid bluetooth issues

MrDoh

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2019
This doesn't affect me, my mac mini is wired to my router, no wi-fi involved. However, the bluetooth from the internal adapter is still not good enough for a mouse. The internal bluetooth just showed up again this morning, and had to hotplug the USB bluetooth dongle in my keyboard USB port to get the bluetooth mouse to be reliable again.

Doing fine, though, since I switched the mouse to the dongle again. As I mentioned above, this is only working well enough on the Big Sur Public Beta, not good enough on Catalina to use the bluetooth mouse at all.

MapleCompressor

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2020
I just encountered this problem on a 6 core mac mini I bought from Costco 2 weeks ago. I plugged in a 4 port non-powered Xcellon USB hub and my magic mouse started seriously lagging, making it unusable. I tried the other USB port and let the hub hang further away from the machine and it seems to be ok now. I'm on Mojave, but upgraded the T2 chip firmware using Big Sur Beta on an external drive.

Reactions: sauria

deksawyer

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2020
Fife, Scotland
I set up my new Mini yesterday and immediately faced the Magic Mouse and keyboard disconnecting constantly. I had 2 powered external drives for backups in the USB A ports.

A bit of Googling and found this and other threads, so simply plugged a USB 3hub into my monitors USB ports (Dell S2719DC) and plugged things into that and all is well. Both USB A ports are now empty.

I have a USB C hub as well, but that seems to be fine. These are the 2 I have:

dUnKle

macrumors regular
May 28, 2020
I’ve only been a mini owner for a short while so don’t know much about them but ...

I have this issue and use the usb c hub “solution”

However, I have noticed that you can (And I do) have WiFi and network can,e connected at same time (believe that only with WiFi can you use Apple Watch to unlock)

That said however I have just noticed that you can change the “service order” of the networks.

Mine has Ethernet at top, followed by WiFi, then Bluetooth and then thunderbolt bridge

I just wandered if anyone has experimented with these ?

I’m going to try Bluetooth at top nd WiFi at bottom. See what happens

dUnKle

macrumors regular
May 28, 2020
I’ve only been a mini owner for a short while so don’t know much about them but ...

I have this issue and use the usb c hub “solution”

However, I have noticed that you can (And I do) have WiFi and network can,e connected at same time (believe that only with WiFi can you use Apple Watch to unlock)

That said however I have just noticed that you can change the “service order” of the networks.

Mine has Ethernet at top, followed by WiFi, then Bluetooth and then thunderbolt bridge

I just wandered if anyone has experimented with these ?

I’m going to try Bluetooth at top nd WiFi at bottom. See what happens

Currently trying with a pair of Sony Bluetooth headphones,
Previously disconnected like crazy
This time they disconnected and reconnected in quick succession a couple of time’s when first switched on but been rock solid since

strangely though the pause button not working.

Ben J.

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2019
Oslo
I have explored this for weeks now, as I have mice and keyboards both close and across the room. I've found that these things help the performance:
Place the mini so that there are no physical obstacles.
Turn it on it's side so that the underside faces front.
Turn off Wifi.
Don't use USB ports. Connect USB devices to adapters connected to the Thunderbolt ports instead.
These things combined helps so that I now can sit across the room, like four meters away, 12 feet, and magic mouse/keyboard works fully reliably.
I think the most important factor is the use of the ports. I'm now using none of the two USBs and just two of the TBs.

wfriedwald

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2017
hey! re-opening an old issue. I still have not been able to get blueTooth working with my 2018 Mac Mini.

A few months ago, I was trying to get headphones to connect via blueTooth, but I had no luck, so I figured out a way to connect a long wire from my (wired) headphones to the unit. Not a great solution, but a solution.

And now I am really determined to get a wireless keyboard/mouse combination working with the 2018 Mac Mini.

A friend of mine has used the Logitech 400+ keyboard (with built in mouse) on his Windows PC, and I saw that it works great. It comes with a wireless receiver ... I'll probably order one of these, here's hoping it works with the Mac OS.

so question: has anybody successfully used a wireless keyboard with the 2018 Mac Mini? I only need to be less than 10 feet away, but using a wire would be very awkward.

Thanks again for any and all feedback,

W

Ben J.

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2019
Oslo
hey! re-opening an old issue. I still have not been able to get blueTooth working with my 2018 Mac Mini.

A few months ago, I was trying to get headphones to connect via blueTooth, but I had no luck, so I figured out a way to connect a long wire from my (wired) headphones to the unit. Not a great solution, but a solution.

And now I am really determined to get a wireless keyboard/mouse combination working with the 2018 Mac Mini.

A friend of mine has used the Logitech 400+ keyboard (with built in mouse) on his Windows PC, and I saw that it works great. It comes with a wireless receiver ... I'll probably order one of these, here's hoping it works with the Mac OS.

so question: has anybody successfully used a wireless keyboard with the 2018 Mac Mini? I only need to be less than 10 feet away, but using a wire would be very awkward.
In my experience, everytime I try a wireless "PC keyboard/mouse" with a usb "dongle" with a mac, it works flawlessly. I guess they have a different radio frequency, or different protocol that makes it totally independant of the mac's bluetooth.

So that's a very workable solution.
I very much like to have my apple bluetooth devices, myself.

dUnKle

macrumors regular
May 28, 2020
well I’ve experimented loads

the biggest difference ?
Place the mini on its side. The “top” facing towards you

My headphones would break up with all the other things I tried, but I’ve well mounted my mini, behind my monitor and it works so so well

not only do headphones not break up, they now work all around the house

topmounter

macrumors 68030
Jun 18, 2009
FEMA Region VIII
Is there a way to mod the Mac Mini with an external BT antenna?

I tried the Hideez BT dongle and once configured it works great... until I have to reboot. After a reboot I have to re-pair my third-party BT devices (HHKB Hybrid Type-S and Logitech MX Anywhere 2S). My Magic Trackpad reconnects just fine.

I'm on my third logic board (unrelated issue to BT connectivity) and all three logic boards have behaved the same with regards to BT connectivity. Basically my Magic Trackpad (gen2 is worse than gen1) gets super laggy intermittently when sitting 12-18 inches from the Mac Mini (both sitting on my desktop w/ LOS). I only use a wired Ethernet connection, so WiFi is never enabled.

wfriedwald

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2017
my report: yes, ROBOTICA is correct - the Logitech 400+ does indeed work flawlessly. Very excellent news indeed.

I am very surprised - pleasantly so!
I haven't had any luck with remote devices so far, including the APPLE TRACKPAD, and I especially did NOT expect a windows device to work with the Mac OS.

Does anybody know: the Logitech 400+ is apparently not a bluetooth device, it does NOT show up in the sys preferences under bluetooth devices. Yet I plugged in the "dongle" in the far left USB port and it just works. So does it use some sort of other remote connection technology? I am just curious - don't want to look this particular gift horse in the mouth!

anyhow, thanks again for everyone's help and support.

w

Reactions: robotica
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.