Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hollywood1117

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 11, 2019
Hey, everyone! I have the 2018 Mac Mini, and I noticed as I was cleaning today that it has a small scratch on the recycled black plastic cover on the bottom of the device. Do you think this is something I should be concerned about? I do have Apple Care for the device, and it is still under the one-year warranty. If I were to get a replacement bottom cover, it may just scratch again. What are your thoughts? Is this normal? I know this may be a weird question! Thanks again!

Trips

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2019
ATL, GA
What is there to be concerned about? And why would AppleCare need to cover scratches on plastic?
How does this impact the performance of the device?
It's literally on the bottom, out of site.

Forgive me, but it just seems a trivial thing to worry about.

Micky Do

macrumors 68020
Aug 31, 2012
a South Pacific island
Hey, everyone! I have the 2018 Mac Mini, and I noticed as I was cleaning today that it has a small scratch on the recycled black plastic cover on the bottom of the device. Do you think this is something I should be concerned about? I do have Apple Care for the device, and it is still under the one-year warranty. If I were to get a replacement bottom cover, it may just scratch again. What are your thoughts? Is this normal? I know this may be a weird question! Thanks again!
I think the question is weird.

My 10 year old Mac Mini has many scratches. So does the MacBook Air, which I bought new last year; I popped it in my backpack and left the packing at the shop. Both work perfectly.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
I think the question is weird.

My 10 year old Mac Mini has many scratches. So does the MacBook Air, which I bought new last year; I popped it in my backpack and left the packing at the shop. Both work perfectly.
There is already a post on the exact same topic at the top of the forums. It's cosmetic damage caused by handling that doesn't effect the operation of the computer so I doubt it would be covered.

Micky Do

macrumors 68020
Aug 31, 2012
a South Pacific island
There is already a post on the exact same topic at the top of the forums. It's cosmetic damage caused by handling that doesn't effect the operation of the computer so I doubt it would be covered.
I've seen similar topics in various sections of MacRumours.....

Seems some folks buy things to display as pristine artefacts, which I just don't get. I buy things to use, and regard the odd bump or scratch as normal.

Reactions: Fawkesguyy

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
I've seen similar topics in various sections of MacRumours.....

Seems some folks buy things to display as pristine artefacts, which I just don't get. I buy things to use, and regard the odd bump or scratch as normal.
I'll be honest I try hard not to damage my computers and electronic gadgets. My Windows laptop that's almost a year old looks pretty much like it came out of the box. Now my AirPod case is badly scratched because I carry it in my pocket but I've given up on that.

Cruciarius

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2013
Massachusetts
I get the want of no scratches on things you buy. That's why people put cases on phones and even laptops, when they're concerned. With the Mini, you could always put little cushioned pads under it.

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
I’d definitely advise against putting cling film on your Mac mini. They get warm.

but if you accidentally remove the plastic wrap put around the mini in the factory, you can replace it by this - and voilá, no scratches on the bottom! it also would look neat on the glass vitrine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.