Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tassyk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 7, 2013
When the Mac Mini (targeting pro users) drops at the end of October, what dream configuration would secure your purchase? Processor/RAM/drives/ports/shape

StellarVixen

macrumors 68040
Mar 1, 2018
Somewhere between 0 and 1
Preferably, i7 with 64 GB of RAM (if that would be an option, I would like for it to be future proof as much as possible).

For ports, I would like some USB-A, at least one. And I think that Mac Mini will feature the 3.5 mm audio port without question.

As for shape, I would like it to be similar to the previous Mac Mini. I would hate something thin, which will make it thermal throttle like crazy.

I am almost certain it is gonna have mediocre graphics, so I will latter settle on some nice nVidia eGPU for Windoze and games, of course. :)

MAlexB

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2017
Given they only updating this every 4 years, making it as future proof is a wise choice
Given that it appears as if Apple is planning to switch away from Intel, 'futureproof' is relative...

kaibob

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2010
Prescott, Arizona
First and foremost, my dream mini will make absolutely no noise (as is the case with my 2012 mini). With that as a given, I'd want 32GB of memory and 512GB SSD. Finally I want it with a graphics system that will drive high-resolution monitors. Just about any up-to-date processor will do and I would prefer that they keep the existing metal case. Upgradeable memory would be nice but is not essential for me.

Reactions: Donka and kazmac

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
First and foremost, my dream mini will make absolutely no noise (as is the case with my 2012 mini).

You must not do anything demanding. Try ripping some video in Handbrake - it will sound like a desktop jet engine. That is certainly the case with my 2012 i7 quad mini and also the base 2012 mini that I used to have. Fans also rev up when doing processor-intensive tasks with Logic Pro and Final Cut Pro. But that's what I would expect from a small computer like the Mini.

As far as "dream configurations", I want as much RAM as possible and the maximum number of CPU cores. Also a fast internal SSD, the bigger the better but that is an area where I could compromise since I use large external hard drives and SSD's for my video work, so I would consider a 256gb internal SSD. Don't want a fusion drive. Also want a modern graphics system that will support some of the high end video software that won't run on my 2012 quad.

I have no doubt all this would get me nto the $2000 range. But I won't be ready to buy for awhile, and wouldn't want to be the "first kid on the block" with a radical new mini design anyway. Will continue using my 2012 quad until I really need a new machine (or until it dies). :)

Last edited:

coolX

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2016
First and foremost, my dream mini will make absolutely no noise (as is the case with my 2012 mini). With that as a given, I'd want 32GB of memory and 512GB SSD. Finally I want it with a graphics system that will drive high-resolution monitors. Just about any up-to-date processor will do and I would prefer that they keep the existing metal case. Upgradeable memory would be nice but is not essential for me.
how much would you pay for that config?

tassyk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 7, 2013
I’d love to see:
7th or 8th gen processor
Discrete graphics card (able to edit 4K footage)
16gb ram
1TB SSD
ability for user to upgrade ram or storage

Reactions: Momof9

mixart

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2012
I use a MacBook Pro 15" 2017 with an LG UltraFine 5K. I would love a Mac Mini instead to drive the LG 5K monitor with the same specs as the newest Macbook Pro with 6-core and 32GB option, and hopefully a more silent computer than the MacBook Pro

tpivette89

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2018
Middletown, DE
i7 or dare I say i9 CPUs as options, upgradeable RAM capable to 32GB, graphics comparable to what's in the 2018 MBP, upgradeable NVMe blades. Ports would consist of at least 2 USB-C (since that's all Apple cares about these days), HDMI, TB3, and ethernet. I mean, if we're dreaming...

Micky Do

macrumors 68020
Aug 31, 2012
a South Pacific island
I don't have a dream configuration.... Just want something adequate for my needs when, sooner or later, it comes to a repair or replace decision for my early 2009 Mac Mini (base model with an extra 4 GB RAM; still running the original 120 GB HDD)...... Replace is the likely option for a 10 year old computer.

A new Mac Mini would be would be complemented by the MacBook Air I recently acquired (mainly for work and occasionally travel). It would be in use or sleep mode 24/7, with the apps I frequently use usually open, thus fast boot time and snappy app opening are not a priority. A decent amount of storage is more important as I do quite a bit of photography at sports events and concerts, some of which is used in the local press or on websites.

The best bang for buck, from my point of view, in the current (2014) line up is the mid-range model, with 8 GB RAM and 1 TB HDD. Fusion Drive would be nice to have, but hard to justify the extra cost. A similar configuration, off the shelf, in the new range would be fine by me.

Bearxor

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2007
The new Mac Mini will be 1” thick and a 6”x6” square. Glass will be incorporated in to the design somehow but it will be mostly aluminum.

8th-gen i5/i7/i9 processors with quad-core minimum. Soldered RAM and SSD, 32GB and 2TB max.

There will be 4-6 ports on the back. They will all be Thunderbolt 3. A 61w adapter will be included with the lower end i5 models and a 87w adapter for the higher end models.

Apple will be really nice and include a TB3 to HDMI adapter.

Prices start at $599 for a i5 with 4GB of RAM and a 128GB SSD.

chooyoshi

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2018
Mostly the same ports as the current 2014 mac mini with a 1tb fusion drive, 8gb ram, up to date i5.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
I hope if it's a very modular design, they offer the "core" with higher end CPU/storage/RAM options (at least 32GB RAM), but without having to get a higher end GPU in the core box - reserve that for another stack/slice, so people who just want (CPU based) computing power don't pay for no reason, and people who want significant GPU power don't get "double dipped" (so to speak).

Really this is pretty close to what I'd like to see too:

i7 or dare I say i9 CPUs as options, upgradeable RAM capable to 32GB, graphics comparable to what's in the 2018 MBP, upgradeable NVMe blades. Ports would consist of at least 2 USB-C (since that's all Apple cares about these days), HDMI, TB3, and ethernet. I mean, if we're dreaming...

Really if I could get a 2018 MBP 15" in a Mini box, but with a better - again, maybe external[?] - GPU, like even the max iMac spec, a 8GB 580 Pro. Note that I also realize if the connection between some kind of modular stack is TB3, then there are bandwidth considerations/concerns for a higher end eGPU (my "wish" was more for cost management and upgradeability).

scoobs69

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2009
6-core 8700K (8-core 9900K would be fantastically better (offered as $200 BTO upgrade?)
32GB Ram (user upgradeable to 64GB)
250GB NVMe drive
(1) open NVMe slot (user upgradeable)
8GB Radeon RX 580
4 USB-3 ports
4 USB-C ports

Priced at $1,600

I'd sell my new 8-core 7820x build and come back to Apple for this little Mac Mini. ...However, I completely expect this to be a pipe dream.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.