Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kckruse

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 19, 2023
So I got a Mac Mini from Goodwill. The last person didn't erase anything so I bought a Snow Leopard OEM DVD and did a fresh install. Before I did a fresh install, the app store and secure websites weren't loading. After the fresh install, still not loading. I've turned off the IPv6 and done a VRAM reset.

I've tried finding a good install of Mavericks. But I imagine I'll have to get one off eBay.

I've tried everything at this point other than upgrading to Mavericks.

Can anyone give me a point in the right direction please? It'd be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time and reading this.

kckruse

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 19, 2023
There is a known problem with older (out of date) browsers unable to access many modern web sites since they lack new enough security certificates. I know this is a problem with PowerPC using Tiger. Perhaps you are experiencing a similar issue with Snow Leopard.

Maybe https://archive.org/details/install-os-x-mavericks.app ?
Thank you for your reply and time, Chuckee. From my understanding, mavericks is the highest I can go right?

wordsworth

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2011
UK
It's my understanding that El Capitan is the last OS able to run on your Mac Mini so that would probably be your best bet for an OS. Then forget about using Safari and instead source (reliably, via Mozilla's website) a compatible copy of Firefox, which is a more long-lived browser as far as functionality on older Macs is concerned. If you're lucky you'll get some net surfing done that way.

I'm using Firefox on a 2015 MacBook Air running Mojave. Before that, it was running El Capitan and Safari was okay on that. Time passes, of course, and Safari became less functional and various websites just couldn't be accessed using it. Firefox resolved that problem for now.

kckruse

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 19, 2023
It's my understanding that El Capitan is the last OS able to run on your Mac Mini so that would probably be your best bet for an OS. Then forget about using Safari and instead source (reliably, via Mozilla's website) a compatible copy of Firefox, which is a more long-lived browser as far as functionality on older Macs is concerned. If you're lucky you'll get some net surfing done that way.

I'm using Firefox on a 2015 MacBook Air running Mojave. Before that, it was running El Capitan and Safari was okay on that. Time passes, of course, and Safari became less functional and various websites just couldn't be accessed using it. Firefox resolved that problem for now.
Thank you. Have you tried using Chrome?

zgagato

macrumors member
Nov 24, 2021
i have an Early 2009 3.1 mini as my office machine. For doing invoices, old software. it runs sierra without any issues. I could make it run High Sierra (mac os 10.13) but dont have time to get to it. I used dos dude's patchers to prepare the installer. In my case the only thing that doesn’t work is wifi. My old version of the patcher didn’t have the drivers and I use ethernet anyway. My mini has 8 gb ram and 120GB SSD for OS. Also 1 TB HDD for files in place of the DVD drive. It is recommended, without it its going to be unusable.

wordsworth

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2011
UK
I don't use Chrome. Never been inclined to use it and have regularly read posts in these forums claiming that it was a memory hog.

If a more recent OS and compatible Firefox works, then Zgagato's recommendation of replacing the hard drive with an SSD would be my next step, and a memory increase, if you plan to put the Mini to any real use. If I'm correct about El Capitan being the last OS compatible with your model of Mini it should be possible to download it from Apple though I suspect that they won't make it too obvious just how to go about it and you'll have to do some digging. (Don't download a copy from some sketchy site.)

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP:

As mentioned above, you're probably going to need to upgrade to El Cap.

You might try an "extended" version of Firefox, but even that may be out of date:
Ultimately, you're going to have to confront the reality that (as far as the web goes), an old Mac running old software just isn't going to be able to "get to" some sites...

Reactions: Chuckeee

kckruse

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 19, 2023
I don't use Chrome. Never been inclined to use it and have regularly read posts in these forums claiming that it was a memory hog.

If a more recent OS and compatible Firefox works, then Zgagato's recommendation of replacing the hard drive with an SSD would be my next step, and a memory increase, if you plan to put the Mini to any real use. If I'm correct about El Capitan being the last OS compatible with your model of Mini it should be possible to download it from Apple though I suspect that they won't make it too obvious just how to go about it and you'll have to do some digging. (Don't download a copy from some sketchy site.)
Just on a quick search, it looks like apple just has an update for EC. Have you heard anyone having any luck with the bootable USBs on eBay for EC?

Reactions: PaulD-UK

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
You can make your own bootable USB installer.

You need a USB flashdrive, 8gb should be large enough for El Cap.

For El Capitan itself, try this link:

I suggest you use this to create the flash drive:
Install Disk Creator:
(I'm not sure if this will work with your old software, try it)

If IDC works, it takes only a few mouse clicks to create the USB installer.

IF all of the above works, then:
- power down, all the way off
- insert the USB flash drive installer
- HOLD DOWN THE OPTION KEY and keep holding it down as you press the power on button
KEEP HOLDING DOWN THE OPTION KEY until...
- the startup manager will appear
- select the USB flashdrive installer and hit return
- DO YOU GET A GOOD BOOT?

If so, then start clicking through the installer.

Good luck.

kckruse

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 19, 2023

Install Disk Creator:

- HOLD DOWN THE OPTION KEY and keep holding it down as you press the power on button

Good luck.
Thank you for the help. I've been using TransMac for boot installation. Is disc creator a little bit better? And should I do a fresh install or just do the upgrade?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"I've been using TransMac for boot installation"

That's on a PC, right?
I have no experience with it.
If you can make it work, you could try that.

Install Disc Creator is a Mac application.
If the Mini will boot now, it may be able to run IDC.

kckruse

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 19, 2023
"I've been using TransMac for boot installation"

That's on a PC, right?
I have no experience with it.
If you can make it work, you could try that.

Install Disc Creator is a Mac application.
If the Mini will boot now, it may be able to run IDC.
Yeah I'm on a PC. I can't really do much with the Mac until I get the Internet and app store running.

OP:

As mentioned above, you're probably going to need to upgrade to El Cap.

You might try an "extended" version of Firefox, but even that may be out of date:
Ultimately, you're going to have to confront the reality that (as far as the web goes), an old Mac running old software just isn't going to be able to "get to" some sites...

@kckruse should also be aware that the early/late 2009 Mac mini, the Macmini3,1, will, using dosdude1’s macOS patches, run beyond El Capitan, and it will likely do so quite well. For the last year, I have been using an earlier, early 2008 MBP (same C2D Penryn era), with a dosdude1-patched High Sierra, and it runs very smoothly. As with High Sierra and later on pretty much any Mac, upgrading a spinning HDD with an SSD is a must, as is maxing the RAM. (The GPU/chipset on these Mac minis are by Nvidia (and use the GeForce 9400M) and can support up to 8GB RAM; for comparison, my earlier MBP maxes at 6GB and High Sierra still runs well).

This upgrade path, of at least High Sierra or Mojave (for the early/late 2009 Mac minis, I’d suggest trying out High Sierra first, as there are no Metal GPU-related demands or workarounds involved), also makes it possible to grab a current (or recent) version of either an official version of Chromium (up to v116.x), Firefox (Mozilla), or one of the community-built browsers like Chromium Legacy or SeaLion (based on Mozilla code). The latter two maintain security updates with the official builds and, as needed and practical, feature parity (such as Widevine DRM for things like Netflix).

Reactions: philgxxd

kckruse

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 19, 2023
@kckruse should also be aware that the early/late 2009 Mac mini, the Macmini3,1, will, using dosdude1’s macOS patches, run beyond El Capitan, and it will likely do so quite well. For the last year, I have been using an earlier, early 2008 MBP (same C2D Penryn era), with a dosdude1-patched High Sierra, and it runs very smoothly. As with High Sierra and later on pretty much any Mac, upgrading a spinning HDD with an SSD is a must, as is maxing the RAM. (The GPU/chipset on these Mac minis are by Nvidia (and use the GeForce 9400M) and can support up to 8GB RAM; for comparison, my earlier MBP maxes at 6GB and High Sierra still runs well).

This upgrade path, of at least High Sierra or Mojave (for the early/late 2009 Mac minis, I’d suggest trying out High Sierra first, as there are no Metal GPU-related demands or workarounds involved), also makes it possible to grab a current (or recent) version of either an official version of Chromium (up to v116.x), Firefox (Mozilla), or one of the community-built browsers like Chromium Legacy or SeaLion (based on Mozilla code). The latter two maintain security updates with the official builds and, as needed and practical, feature parity (such as Widevine DRM for things like Netflix).
Thank you for all the info and your time, BS. Man you sound like the one everyone calls when their computer doesn't work right. My kind of people. My mom calls me when her computer doesn't work and scratches her head when I fix it in seconds. Like I just performed voodoo.

I'm more knowledgeable with PCs. Unfortunately. How easy is it to do the patches from dosdude? I imagine I'll have to watch some YouTube videos for that.

I'm sure I can do the SSD swap and the memory upgrade. That's more of my cup. Sounds expensive though so I'll have to hold off until I get some funds allocated for that. I just wanna get it working like it did in 2009. At the moment.

Thank you for all the info and your time, BS. Man you sound like the one everyone calls when their computer doesn't work right. My kind of people. My mom calls me when her computer doesn't work and scratches her head when I fix it in seconds. Like I just performed voodoo.

Sort of what a lot of the folks on the Early Intel Macs and PowerPC Macs forums do is not only helping more people get more use out of their older Macs, but also to uncover new ways of bringing new utility to those Macs. We’re all on team “re-use/upcycle” and less “disposal/recycle” here. :)

I'm more knowledgeable with PCs. Unfortunately. How easy is it to do the patches from dosdude? I imagine I'll have to watch some YouTube videos for that.

The OS patching utilities by dosdude1 are pretty straightforward and similar in design. One caveat you’ll need, however, is access to a Mac with a working operating system (which, even a 2009 Mac mini with a working version of, say, Snow Leopard, should be sufficient).

Since you have a 2009 Mac mini but haven’t been able to get Snow Leopard on there, my guess is you might have tried to install from one of the OEM grey DVDs. Unless the DVD is, literally, the one which shipped with that specific Mac mini, then this will almost never work out. Instead, grab and burn an ISO of the retail install DVD (here, 10.6.7) for Snow Leopard, followed, post-install, by going through and letting Software Update bring everything up to to 10.6.8 with all security updates.

You’ll also need an external USB flash drive of, at least, 8GB to clone that ISO (I only have a 16GB drive for stuff like this, but all the installers have run just under 8GB). The patcher utility will clone the OS, with patches included for your model, onto that USB stick, which will then be used to boot from it and to install the OS on your internal drive.

Or, if you‘re feeling really crafty, you could use Disk Utility (namely, the Disk Utility accessible from the patched installer) to create a temporary installer partition for the “end” of the internal drive and install the patched OS to a second, or “middle” partition you also create.

You’ll also want to decide whether to keep both the existing OS already on your internal drive and have a second partition for the patched OS, or whether you want just the patched OS to be the only one on your Mac mini.

As a safe step, if you plan to take the “one OS on my Mac mini” route, you’ll want to use the legacy version of Carbon Copy Cloner 3.4.7 (which works fine on Snow Leopard and earlier, but not so much for later OS X/macOS builds) to back up what you currently have on there, pre-installation, in case you need to come back to it for any reason (this is where having the backup on an old, internal HDD you removed, in place for a new SSD, comes in handy).

[Note: if you plan to clone stuff on OS X/macOS from after Snow Leopard, you’re gonna need to grab the shareware version of Carbon Copy Cloner 5.x (as Apple completely re-engineered both GUID/GPT partition mapping from Lion onward, and added APFS partitioning as the successor/default over HFS+ partitioning beginning with High Sierra). Carbon Copy Cloner 3.4.7 isn’t equipped to deal with these changes.]

I'm sure I can do the SSD swap and the memory upgrade. That's more of my cup. Sounds expensive though so I'll have to hold off until I get some funds allocated for that. I just wanna get it working like it did in 2009. At the moment.

It shouldn’t be too bad nowadays. RAM for the early/late 2009 Mac minis are PC3-8500 DDR3 SO-DIMMs at 1066MHz. Two 4GB sticks are what will top it off. You might even find someone selling used 2x4GB SO-DIMMs locally for a good bargain.

The 2.5-inch SATA SSDs have really, really come down in price from even just five years ago (and positively so from when I bought my first SSD back in 2011, when a 64GB SSD ran about CAD$100!). For best performance, keep your eye out for SSD models which, explicitly, have an onboard DRAM cache. This makes random reads and writes a lot quicker and works to allow the drive controller within the SSD to better allocate and manage wear-levelling on the SSD’s NANDs. In plain English: DRAM has less bottlenecking.

DRAM-cache SSD models are, usually, at least a step up from basement/entry SSDs within a brand’s line (a good example: WD’s Green SSD line, their entry-level, lacks an DRAM cache, but their WD Blue and WD Red SATA SSDs have them). I put a 500GB WD Blue SSD in my 2008 MBP when I set it up in 2021 (it has both Snow Leopard 10.6.8 and a dosdude1-patched High Sierra 10.13.6), and it has done very well.

Reactions: Chuckeee

Cancelled
Aug 24, 2023
The problem is that snow leopard to 15 years old…what the internet was 15 years ago is not what it is today which is why your having issues…

kckruse

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 19, 2023

Install Disk Creator:

Good luck.
Thank you for the El Capitan help. I got it upgraded and everything is working. I appreciate your time and help.

Reactions: 3922434

Cancelled
Aug 24, 2023
That’s awesome man! I love El Capitan….its still very useable. Glad you got it work!!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.