Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ninja Dom

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2007
Hello, I just want to mention that I have a Mac Mini M1 and LG CX and I'm using it at 4k 60hz with the "game" mode on.

Since I switch to game mode, there is no lag with the mouse. if you choose cinema or any other mode, you can notice the lag.

but if you want to run 120hz, the only resolution for now is 2560x1440 at 120hz with any "screen mode" from the LG.

I have a PC with an RTX 3090 using HDMI 2.1 with this monitor is such a beast. 4k 120hz.

damn it apple! :)

can't wait to have 4k 120hz on this Mac Mini M1... maybe an HDMI to Display port could do the trick?

I read most of the comments but if someone has some shots I can try, just let me know.

thanks and have a happy new year!
Hi there, I also got the M1 Mac mini and the HDMI port on it is only 2.0 standard. So that means 2560 x 1440 @ 120Hz or 4K @ 60Hz maximum from that port. Apple would have to release a new Mac mini model with HDMI 2.1 support to be able to get 4K @ 120Hz out of the HDMI port.

The Display Ports on the Mac can run at higher resolutions. I'm running 2560 x 1440 @ 120Hz with HDR ON, via Display Port to a monitor. But I could go up to 2560 x 1440 @ 165Hz with HDR OFF on my monitor.

Can I ask, how are the fonts on your display? Any blurriness?

marcemoyano

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2020
Hello!
Thanks for your reply.
I don’t have any blurriness using it at 4K 60hz. With game mode on.
I tune the color and white balance.
it looks super nice and share and the calibration seems to be on point.
Fonts look perfect, like when you use an iMac 27” or apple displays.

I just wish there is something I can do from hdmi 2.1 (from the Oled panel) to the thunderbolt 3 connector. Something like hdmi 2.1 to thunderbolt 3 for 4K 120hz.

oh well :)

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
can't wait to have 4k 120hz on this Mac Mini M1... maybe an HDMI to Display port could do the trick?
The CAC-1085 was mentioned as a possible solution for HDMI 2.1 output.

In SwitchResX, make sure the frequency range encompasses the make required for the timing that you want to use. For example, 4K 120Hz uses a 1188 MHz pixel clock, so the pixel clock range should have a max of something like 1200 MHz or more. If you find that default frequency range settings are sufficient or not sufficient then let us know.

matthoffner

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2014
I'm giving this another shot with the CAC-1567. I was using a Cable Matters adapter which doesn't mention DSC and seems to only support Nvidia RTX and Ice Lake USB-C ports. Will report back.

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
I'm giving this another shot with the CAC-1567. I was using a Cable Matters adapter which doesn't mention DSC and seems to only support Nvidia RTX and Ice Lake USB-C ports. Will report back.
USB-C to DisplayPort adapters are straight through cable - DSC support is a function of the display and GPU, not the cable. Same as Deep Color or whatever for HDMI cables - Deep Color is a function of the display and GPU, not the cable.

For a cable, you only need to know the bandwidth capabilities and whether it's bidirectional or not. Usually a cable does not identify its capabilities to the computer. For example, there is no difference between a DisplayPort 1.2 cable and a DisplayPort 1.4 cable except that a DisplayPort 1.4 cable has been tested at HBR3 link rate.

However, a USB-C cable or adapter may have electronics to identify it's max capabilities (e-marker chips or E-Mark chips). It may identify itself as USB 2.0, USB 3.0 (5 Gbps), USB 3.1 gen 2 (10 Gbps). HBR2 (5.4 Gbps) and HBR3 (8.1 Gbps) are both greater than 5 Gbps so any cable that supports DisplayPort will probably be of the 10 Gbps variety (rates are per lane, four lanes max). USB-C adapters may have a billboard device which is a USB 2.0 device that identifies the adapter in case you connect it to a USB port that does not support DisplayPort Alt Mode (or Thunderbolt alt mode or whatever USB-C alt mode that is required by the adapter).

The Cable Matters USB-C to DisplayPort 1.4 adapter has the billboard device ("Cable Matters USB-C 8K Video Adapter"). So does the CAC-1567 ("USB-C dongle"). The Cable Matters adapter gets warm even if there's no DisplayPort connection but I haven't had any problems with it from any of the USB-C ports I have (Mac mini 2018, HP Thunderbolt Dock G2, GC-TITAN RIDGE, GC-ALPINE RIDGE, Sunix UPD2018, Wacom Link Plus, other Thunderbolt devices). I haven't tried the CAC-1587 very long - I think it runs cooler. I'll let you know if that changes over time.

Reactions: ElectronGuru

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
That adapter only uses two lanes of DisplayPort 1.4 HBR3, so it must use chroma sub sampling (at least 4:2:2) to do HDR (10bpc) and it can't do 8bpc without chroma sub sampling (something HDMI 2.0 should be able to do).
Correction: The Apple USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter A2119 adapter supports DSC so it may be able to use that to exceed the 2 lane HBR3 limit to allow 8bpc RGB. But 4K 60Hz 10bpc or HDR still requires at least 4:2:2 (with or without DSC since this is an HDMI limit).
https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...ransfers-recommendation.2278473/post-29466205

Onmybikedrunk

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2010
Ok, so I bought a Mac Mini M1 and in the meantime separately decided to buy an LG OLED CX 48" for my gaming PC. Once I realized that the M1 was only HDMI 2.0 I was a bit disappointed and am still trying to decide whether or not to return it and wait for the next AS Mac...

Mostly out of curiosity I Hackintoshed one of my PC's to see if I could get the Club3D DP 1.4 to HDMI 2.1 adapter to work at 120Hz with my LG CX. My Hackintosh has a 5700 XT which does support DSC. I tested the DisplayPort directly to a 4K 120Hz monitor (Predator X27) and it worked fine - full 4K 120Hz output right from the Display Prefs. I then tried the Club3D adapter and Display Prefs is not showing a 120Hz option - maxes out at 60Hz.

I did download SwitchResX to see if I could force it but am not familiar enough with the app or display tech to enter any custom resolutions. Does anyone care to give me a hand in trying to force a 4K 120Hz resolution via the adapter? In the meantime I will test the adapter in Windows just to make sure it's not faulty (there are some good and bad reviews out there)...

matthoffner

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2014
Ok, so I bought a Mac Mini M1 and in the meantime separately decided to buy an LG OLED CX 48" for my gaming PC. Once I realized that the M1 was only HDMI 2.0 I was a bit disappointed and am still trying to decide whether or not to return it and wait for the next AS Mac...

Mostly out of curiosity I Hackintoshed one of my PC's to see if I could get the Club3D DP 1.4 to HDMI 2.1 adapter to work at 120Hz with my LG CX. My Hackintosh has a 5700 XT which does support DSC. I tested the DisplayPort directly to a 4K 120Hz monitor (Predator X27) and it worked fine - full 4K 120Hz output right from the Display Prefs. I then tried the Club3D adapter and Display Prefs is not showing a 120Hz option - maxes out at 60Hz.

I did download SwitchResX to see if I could force it but am not familiar enough with the app or display tech to enter any custom resolutions. Does anyone care to give me a hand in trying to force a 4K 120Hz resolution via the adapter? In the meantime I will test the adapter in Windows just to make sure it's not faulty (there are some good and bad reviews out there)...

I've gone down this path without any luck. Same setup. SwitchResX has a beta for M1 but it didn't make any difference for me.

At this point I'm more hopeful for eGPU driver support in a future release to actually run a game at 4k 120hz. As much as I want it for desktop use the CX and M1 are already really smooth.

Onmybikedrunk

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2010
I've gone down this path without any luck. Same setup. SwitchResX has a beta for M1 but it didn't make any difference for me.

At this point I'm more hopeful for eGPU driver support in a future release to actually run a game at 4k 120hz. As much as I want it for desktop use the CX and M1 are already really smooth.
Yeah I hear yah... So just to clarify, I'm asking for help with the dual-boot Windows/MacOS Hackintosh, not the M1. I've given up on the M1. BUT I figure that even though I have a hack this should also apply to any legit intel Mac with eGPU as well. Hopefully I'm explaining it well because I'm even kinda confusing myself ?.... I'm trying to get the 5700 XT to broadcast a 120hz signal via the Club3D DP 1.4 to HDMI 2.1 adapter in MacOS.

Via the Hack:

- Runs 120Hz fine via DP1.4 direct (no adapter) via the 5700 XT on a legit 4k 120hz X27 Predator Display (so in theory eGPU should also work for this with a legit Mac)
- Once in Windows on same machine the 5700 XT displays 4K at 120hz via the Club3D DP 1.4 to HDMI 2.1 adapter (connected to the LG CX OLED TV) but NOT in MacOS. I've confirmed this adapter does work and it does what it's supposed to do via Windows, which can only mean there should be more adapters brought to market. Unfortunately I've tried everything I can think of to get the same setup to work in MacOS without success. In other words, I boot into Windows and it works, I boot into MacOS without messing with any hardware and I can only get 60Hz. In theory it should work as that's been proven by both the 4K monitor (direct DP 1.4) test and DSC working in Windows via the adapter.

End goal would be to use the DP 1.4 to HDMI 2.1 to drive 4K at 120Hz on the LG CX. I have no experience with messing with SwitchResX and custom resolutions and I know you can mess stuff up if you start editing things like EDID without knowledge. Is there a way to create a custom res at 4K 120Hz?

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
I tried the CAC-1085 (Club 3D DisplayPort 1.4 to HDMI 4K120Hz adapter) from a Mac mini 2018 with a Radeon W5700. In SwitchResX, I created a 4K 120Hz timing because my Acer XV273K doesn't have a 4K 120Hz timing for it's HDMI 2.0b ports. I selected the mode and of course the screen went black because it doesn't support that timing (but it does support that timing with DisplayPort). I then used the AGDCDiagnose command to see what it was outputting. Of course it was 8bpc YCbCr 4:2:0 because that's the only way to get 4K 120Hz with HDMI 2.0b. It can't do HDR because that would require 10bpc (but I don't get HDR mode option in the Displays preferences panel even when using 60Hz with the CAC-1085 so something else is going wrong there). The bandwidth of HDMI 2.0b is less than HBR3 so DSC doesn't get used in this case.

The X27 is similar to my XV273K - it does not support 4K 120Hz from HDMI 2.0 port (says on page 11 of the X27 manual that 4K 100Hz and higher are for DisplayPort only).

End goal would be to use the DP 1.4 to HDMI 2.1 to drive 4K at 120Hz on the LG CX. I have no experience with messing with SwitchResX and custom resolutions and I know you can mess stuff up if you start editing things like EDID without knowledge. Is there a way to create a custom res at 4K 120Hz?
Attach the AGDCDiagnose output so we can see the EDID for the display (maybe with and without the CAC-1085 to see if it modifies the EDID). It should already have a 4K 120Hz timing so there shouldn't be a need to add a custom timing.

In SwitchResX, you create a custom timing (usually using CVT-RB), type Command-S to save, then click Activate Immediately button (which should send you to the Display Information tab after a few seconds), then go to Current Resolutions to see if the mode was added, then select the new mode.

kasakka

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2008
Great thread. Here are my findings:

I have:
  • 2019 16" Macbook Pro with Radeon 5300M 4 GB GPU. Running MacOS Catalina.
  • LG CX 48" OLED TV running latest firmware.
  • Club3D CAC-1085 DP 1.4 to HDMI 2.1 adapter.
  • CableMatters USB-C to DP 1.4 "8K" adapter.
  • CableMatters USB-C to HDMI 2.0 adapter.
With the following signal chain I get 4K 120 Hz 10-bit HDR as if it was connected directly via DisplayPort:

Windows PC with 2080 Ti. 2080 Ti USB-C output -> CableMatters USB-C to DP adapter -> Club3D CAC-1085 adapter -> Club3D CAC-1372 "10K 120Hz" cable -> LG CX 48" TV

But connecting that same double adapter madness to my MBP, the max I get is 4K 60 Hz. Using the CableMatters USB-C to HDMI 2.0 gives me the exact same results. HDR is unavailable with either adapter.

Basically it seems that with the MBP DSC does not work correctly or something else goes wrong and 4K 120 Hz is not available at all. 1080p and 1440p @ 120 Hz is exposed just fine.

To add insult to injury, the display defaults to 4K 60 Hz 10-bit 4:2:0, which is awful for desktop use. With no controls for chroma subsampling in MacOS, the only solution was an EDID override. See this Reddit post on how I did it.

CableMatters has recently released a USB-C to HDMI 2.1 48 Gbps adapter that they claim should work at 4K 120 Hz using Intel Macs (M1 is 4K 60 Hz limited) but it's not available in EU yet. You can find it on Amazon in the US if someone wants to give it a try. Would be interested to hear if that works for you.

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
I believe this is the adapter you have in mind: AmazonSmile: Cable Matters 48Gbps USB C to HDMI Adapter Supporting 4K 120Hz and 8K HDR - Thunderbolt 3 and Thunderbolt 4 Port Compatible: Computers & Accessories
I have the mini in order as well as the LG 55 CX arriving within 2-3 weeks and I will test it out. The mini should support 4k@120 with HDR over the thunderbolt.
It probably uses the same DisplayPort to HDMI 2.1 converter as the Club 3D CAC-1085 but with the convenience of USB-C so you don't need a separate USB power source.
Use the AGDCDiagnose command to see who makes the adapter, and to get firmware and hardware version number:
The CAC-1085 had this info:
[DP 1.4 DSC 4 x HBR3] OUI:000-224-076 REALTEK SEMICONDUCTOR CORP. Dp1.2? [050-000] HW: 0 FW: 0.0
which might be this:

Reactions: kasakka

frisbfreek

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2020
I believe this is the adapter you have in mind: AmazonSmile: Cable Matters 48Gbps USB C to HDMI Adapter Supporting 4K 120Hz and 8K HDR - Thunderbolt 3 and Thunderbolt 4 Port Compatible: Computers & Accessories
I have the mini in order as well as the LG 55 CX arriving within 2-3 weeks and I will test it out. The mini should support 4k@120 with HDR over the thunderbolt.
It probably uses the same DisplayPort to HDMI 2.1 converter as the Club 3D CAC-1085 but with the convenience of USB-C so you don't need a separate USB power source.
Use the AGDCDiagnose command to see who makes the adapter, and to get firmware and hardware version number:
The CAC-1085 had this info:
[DP 1.4 DSC 4 x HBR3] OUI:000-224-076 REALTEK SEMICONDUCTOR CORP. Dp1.2? [050-000] HW: 0 FW: 0.0
which might be this:

Good find! It looks like the Cable Matters adapter doesn't support DSC, as the specs claim that it only supports 8K 30hz. The Club 3D CAC-1085 does support DSC, so I'm not sure if it's using the same chip. That said, please use AGDCDiagnose as per @joevt and let us know the specs!

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
Good find! It looks like the Cable Matters adapter doesn't support DSC, as the specs claim that it only supports 8K 30hz. The Club 3D CAC-1085 does support DSC, so I'm not sure if it's using the same chip. That said, please use AGDCDiagnose as per @joevt and let us know the specs!
4K 120Hz requires approximately the same bandwidth of 8K 30Hz.
If 8K 60Hz was supported then so would 4K 240Hz.

The product page is at

It says:
"Drive the latest 8K monitors at up to 7680x4320 at 30Hz with 10-bit color, RGB 4:4:4, and HDR"

Without DSC, 8K 30Hz can only do 8bpc RGB.

But certainly AGDCDiagnose will tell us if the adapter supports DSC.

They have a support page at:
It doesn't say DSC, but it does list only DSC capable GPUs.

kasakka

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2008
I contacted CableMatters about the adapter and they say it will do 4K 120 Hz with my 2080 Ti so it pretty much has to support DSC for that to happen. They claimed that it should also allow for 4K 120 Hz with Intel Macbooks, but with the adapter not being available in EU until March I cannot test it out. ARM Macbooks seem to be limited to 4K 60 Hz.

Club3D is also supposed to release a USB-C version of their adapter, seems CableMatters got there first. With the CAC-1085 at least there were some very severe growing pains but with the latest firmware it works fine now on PC. Variable refresh rate support is something that neither brand seems to be able to deliver (for PC use) so far.

Reactions: frisbfreek

lagrian

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2021
Hi All,

Great thread, after not being wowed by the NUC 11's just release (I was hoping for HDMI 2.1) I've gone back to the mac mini m1 as the front runner. The one thing preventing me is I use a LG CX 55 as my main monitor (got used to the ABL) and would really like 4k 120 Hz.

I am watching this thread with interest to see if I can hit the trigger, all other requirements have been ticked.

I noticed this cable, is this something that would theoretically work with the Mac Mini M1

https://www.kenable.co.uk/en/usb-ca...itor-video-cable-1m-010926-5055781246531.html

Or is the GPU just not capable or Apple not willing to support it.

Thanks

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
I contacted CableMatters about the adapter and they say it will do 4K 120 Hz with my 2080 Ti so it pretty much has to support DSC for that to happen. They claimed that it should also allow for 4K 120 Hz with Intel Macbooks, but with the adapter not being available in EU until March I cannot test it out. ARM Macbooks seem to be limited to 4K 60 Hz.
Assuming 1188MHz pixel clock,
4K 120Hz or 8K 30Hz can be done with DisplayPort 1.4 without DSC using 4:2:2 10bpc.
4K 120Hz or 8K 30Hz can be done with HDMI 2.0 using 4:2:0 8bpc (can't support HDR with 8bpc).
Your display may be able to tell you if it's using RGB or 4:4:4 and whether you are getting 8 or 10 bpc (but many displays do not - well, maybe these new HDMI 2.1 displays will want to show off their capabilities by showing you the info - to put HDMI 2.0 displays to shame).

With the CAC-1085 at least there were some very severe growing pains but with the latest firmware it works fine now on PC.
How do you get new firmware for CAC-1085? There's no download links that I could find.

Great thread, after not being wowed by the NUC 11's just release (I was hoping for HDMI 2.1) I've gone back to the mac mini m1 as the front runner. The one thing preventing me is I use a LG CX 55 as my main monitor (got used to the ABL) and would really like 4k 120 Hz.

Or is the GPU just not capable or Apple not willing to support it.
If M1 Macs have a problem with 4K 120Hz, it is probably software only since 6K 60Hz is more pixels per frame and per second.
One issue with M1 Macs is the 6K framebuffer limit so it cannot do HiDPI modes greater than 3K and it cannot do 8K 30Hz which is less pixels per second than 6K 60Hz.

I noticed this cable, is this something that would theoretically work with the Mac Mini M1
https://www.kenable.co.uk/en/usb-ca...itor-video-cable-1m-010926-5055781246531.html
That's another adapter/cable like the Club-3D or Cable Matters products. They probably all use the Realtek RTD2173.

frisbfreek

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2020

Club3D is also supposed to release a USB-C version of their adapter, seems CableMatters got there first. With the CAC-1085 at least there were some very severe growing pains but with the latest firmware it works fine now on PC. Variable refresh rate support is something that neither brand seems to be able to deliver (for PC use) so far.
Great idea on contacting Cable Matters! It was such a great idea, in fact, that I did the same but with more specific questions. Here was their reply (within 12 hrs!):
  1. Yes, it works with an HBR3 stream with DSC.
  2. We state that it supports 8K 30Hz RGB only as we’re experiencing issues with some devices at 8K 60Hz. Thus, we temporarily removed the 8K 60Hz option from the list. This would be changed once the problem is solved.
  3. Both DSC is supported on the USB C input and HDMI 2.1 output.

So, DSC is fully supported! I think this basically supports joevt’s statement that it uses the Realtek RTD2173.

Reactions: kasakka

kasakka

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2008
How do you get new firmware for CAC-1085? There's no download links that I could find.
You can get the latest CAC-1085 firmware by emailing Club3D. It's a bit ridiculous that they don't just post it on their website to download.

VandalBee

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2021
The M1 should support 4k@120 over the thunderbolt no? It should not be supported only over the hdmi right?

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
Is this company you can trust?
What point are you trying to make? That Blur Busters web page seems to be able to show the refresh rate of the display. In the Displays preferences panel, hold the option key and click "Scaled". Then enable "Show low resolution modes". Then you can try changing the refresh rate.

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
Until now, the M1 Mac has not been operated 4k 120hz with HDMI. But in the video, 4k 120hz works with HDMI. So I asked if the company that posted that video was a famous and reliable company.
I think so. Many display reviewers use their blur busters motion tests to measure pixel response times / etc. Anyway, I tested the frame rate measurement on my Mac mini 2018 and it seems to match the setting I choose (and what my display's onscreen menu says - does your display not have an onscreen menu that shows the resolution and refresh rate?)
you should be able to do the same test by selecting different refresh rates on the M1 Mac.

kasakka

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2008
I think so. Many display reviewers use their blur busters motion tests to measure pixel response times / etc. Anyway, I tested the frame rate measurement on my Mac mini 2018 and it seems to match the setting I choose (and what my display's onscreen menu says - does your display not have an onscreen menu that shows the resolution and refresh rate?)
you should be able to do the same test by selecting different refresh rates on the M1 Mac.

Note that the diagnostic menu shows SDR even when running HDR, it's a known bug in the diagnostics and not worth worrying about. If you have a CX or later, you can also get an easier diagnostic by repeatedly tapping the green button on the remote. This shows a small box in the corner.

Hope someone can test the CableMatters USB-C to HDMI 2.1 adapter soon. I can't seem to get more than 4K 60 Hz using the Club3D CAC-1085 on my 2019 Intel Macbook Pro no matter what. 1440p 120 Hz works fine but that's same behavior as using a HDMI 2.0 adapter.

harlemcity

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2021
Note that the diagnostic menu shows SDR even when running HDR, it's a known bug in the diagnostics and not worth worrying about. If you have a CX or later, you can also get an easier diagnostic by repeatedly tapping the green button on the remote. This shows a small box in the corner.

Hope someone can test the CableMatters USB-C to HDMI 2.1 adapter soon. I can't seem to get more than 4K 60 Hz using the Club3D CAC-1085 on my 2019 Intel Macbook Pro no matter what. 1440p 120 Hz works fine but that's same behavior as using a HDMI 2.0 adapter.
Question. Do you get 1440p without low resolution mode on. I cant get regular 1440pwhen using 120 hz using hdmi

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.