Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac03ForLife

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2017
Washington, DC
So i have a macbook pro, macbook air, and a powermac g5. However, the powermac is dead. it refuses to boot or even turn on.

Is the base model mac mini a viable replacement for a spotify jukebox, word processing, and light gaming?

tubular

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2011
Ask the same question this time next month. There's a reasonable chance they'll announce the long-overdue refresh by then.

Reactions: !!!

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
My g5 died like that back in 2009. ;) I also had a 2008 MBP that was much faster, so I didn't miss it much.

I agree, the base 1.4ghz/4gb/500gb HD Mini is not a suitable general purpose computer. I have one for an iTunes server - it just runs iTunes 24/7 with home sharing and a big media library on an external disk. It works just fine for that. But using it for anything else is really frustrating. It can take 30 seconds just to open an app like Safari for the first time. System preferences takes around 45 seconds to open. OTOH, a 2012 base mini is quite usable however, and can easily be upgraded to 8gb or 16gb. But I wouldn't want to buy one of those today.

Definitely worth the wait to see what Apple introduces this fall since we finally have a credible rumor of a new Mini. But if it's the $500 pricetage that attracts you to the Mini, you may be disappointed. The rumors have suggested a "pro-focussed" Mini that will be more expensive than the current entry level models. But of course, nobody really knows.

Mac03ForLife

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2017
Washington, DC
Im not really focused on the price of the model so much as the features. If it offers a decent i5, 8GB RAM, and an SSD ill go for it. I can add an eGPU and that will be that

Mac03ForLife

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2017
Washington, DC
Well you said "base model mac miini", which has a slow i5, soldered 4gb RAM and a hard disk. ;)

But let's see what Apple might announce in the next couple months.... if anything.
I meant more of what apple may announce. If it has those specs, idc price

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.