Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Anastacio

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 18, 2010
Denmark
So my order from June 17th of the new Mac Mini finally arrives tomorrow, it's on its way from Eindhoven as I write this. It got this:

2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB memory
320GB hard drive1
8x double-layer SuperDrive
NVIDIA GeForce 320M graphics
Mac OS X Snow Leopard

I will use it as a media hub for HD movies, TV-recording, music and photos. Though, I got some remaining questions.

01) I am looking for an external harddrive, would a wireless be alright or should I go with a FW800 variant? It needs to be 1TB, any suggestions?

02) How do I transfer my iTunes library (everything) from Windows XP to the Mac? I have read about two different ways of doing so, should I just copy the 'iTunes' folder, place it on my external harddrive and transfer it to 'Finder' on the Mac?

03) I have read that it would be a good idea to rename all my photos before I transfer them to iPhoto, correct?

04) Is there an Eye TV plugin I can install from the Plex hardware accelerated version (in-program store) ?

05) Is there any motorized HD webcam out there? (preferably with a long cable).

It's my first Mac so I'm a bit excited.

a2applegirl

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2010
So my order from June 17th of the new Mac Mini finally arrives tomorrow, it's on its way from Eindhoven as I write this. It got this:

2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB memory
320GB hard drive1
8x double-layer SuperDrive
NVIDIA GeForce 320M graphics
Mac OS X Snow Leopard

I will use it as a media hub for HD movies, TV-recording, music and photos. Though, I got some remaining questions.

01) I am looking for an external harddrive, would a wireless be alright or should I go with a FW800 variant? It needs to be 1TB, any suggestions?

02) How do I transfer my iTunes library (everything) from Windows XP to the Mac? I have read about two different ways of doing so, should I just copy the 'iTunes' folder, place it on my external harddrive and transfer it to 'Finder' on the Mac?

03) I have read that it would be a good idea to rename all my photos before I transfer them to iPhoto, correct?

04) Is there an Eye TV plugin I can install from the Plex hardware accelerated version (in-program store) ?

05) Is there any motorized HD webcam out there? (preferably with a long cable).

It's my first Mac so I'm a bit excited.

Here are my thoughts:

1. I would definitely go with firewire 800 as it will keep your home network from getting overburdened, and will allow you faster access to whats on the drive. The iomega minimax drives go well with the minis and have the same look and feel so you can stack them (if this is going in your living room, or somewhere where you care how the drive is going to look)

2. Not sure why you would need to rename all your photos. If they are jpegs or png files, or even photoshop files, they should be fine as named. Videos sometimes need to be renamed if you are going to use Plex, but that is a plex issue and is the same on all versions of plex, even the non mac ones. And iphoto won't be managing your videos anyway.

3. The best way to backup your itunes library is to do a migration of the library to an external drive (the one you buy) and then migrate from there to the mac or just leave the library on the external drive. Here is a link to apple's official support document on migrating to an external drive in windows:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1364

Anastacio

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 18, 2010
Denmark
They only have 2TB in the danish Apple store, anyway I'll look into it a bit later.

Right now, I copied my iTunes library succesfully to my external harddrive. My question is now, how do I get iTunes on the Mac Mini to use this library? =/

a2applegirl

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2010
They only have 2TB in the danish Apple store, anyway I'll look into it a bit later.

Right now, I copied my iTunes library succesfully to my external harddrive. My question is now, how do I get iTunes on the Mac Mini to use this library? =/

iTunes -> Preferences -> Advanced -> iTunes Music folder location -> Change (set to your new external drive).

Then:

iTunes -> Files -> Add to Library (find the directory where files are, click OK).

Anastacio

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 18, 2010
Denmark
I am totally lost with Mac lol. So much that I accidentally erased the 'Macintosh HD' and is now installing Mac OSX from the disc. *suk*

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.