Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

willv84

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2014
Hello

I am new with mac computers but believe me I am really happy. I was given a mac mini with the following specification:

Apple Mac Mini Core 2 Duo A1176 Mid-07
(1.83GHz, 1GB RAM, 80GB HDD)

And I would like to upgrade memory and storage as well the os but before I do that I need to know if it is possible. could I install one of the recent osx versions?, what the is the maximum on memory that it supports?, Could you please help me to find it out?.

Thank you very much!!!

jpietrzak8

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
Ah, I have one of those myself. :) It can be upgraded to 4 GB of RAM, and takes a serial ATA drive (either an HD or an SSD) if you want to change out the internal storage. (With a machine this old, though, I prefer to use external drives; makes it easier to transfer the drive to a new machine, if you need to do that.)

Sadly, the last version of OS X that officially supported the 2007 Mini was 10.7 (Lion). (There are ways to trick a later version of OS X to run on this machine, but I've not done that myself, as the more recent versions consume a lot more RAM.)

This is a very nice machine with a lot of durability. (Mine has been running almost continuously for the better part of a decade...)

willv84

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2014
Awesome!!!, I was thinking about 4GB ram and 120 SSD then I think we are good. About the os once I put the new HDD on it how can I install the OS?, any idea?

jpietrzak8

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
About the os once I put the new HDD on it how can I install the OS?, any idea?

im stuck on how to install the a os on it

Hmm. Probably the easiest thing is to use an external hard drive enclosure (if you've got one): first, place the new drive into the external enclosure, connect it to the Mini, and then make a copy of the existing drive onto the new one. There are tools like "Carbon Copy Cloner" which make this easy. If you do this, you can then test if the copy succeeded by booting off the external drive -- if you hold down the option key (cloverleaf on Apple keyboards, Windows icon on PC keyboards) while booting, you should be presented with a list of all available boot disks. If everything works fine, you should then be able to swap the new disk in for the old one with no trouble. (Or, just continue booting from the external drive, if that's easier.)

I think you can also use the original OS X install disk that came with the machine to create a new boot drive, but I'm not sure I know all the details involved in doing this...

If you don't have a drive with OS X on it, and you don't have the install DVD that came with the machine, you'll probably need to purchase one from Apple; you can still get a 10.6 install disk from them.

There are a number of different guides available on the net. I'm not sure what the best ones would be... Here are a couple I've seen that might give you somewhere to start:

https://soledadpenades.com/2007/11/01/diy-replace-your-intel-mac-minis-hard-disk-drive/
http://macintoshhowto.com/hardware/how-to-speed-up-your-mac-with-a-ssd-drive.html

willv84

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2014
Hello again

Then, in order to perform the upgrade and intall the OS the only version that is accepted by the machine without doing anything is 10.7 (Lion) right?, any idea about how much could cost the upgrade to 4GB on this machine.
At this point I am so happy, this is my first mac and I want a macbook but not yet. So I really want to enjoy the time I have with the mac mini.
I do appreciate all the help you guys have provided to me.

jpietrzak8

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
Then, in order to perform the upgrade and intall the OS the only version that is accepted by the machine without doing anything is 10.7 (Lion) right?

10.7 is the last version that supports the 2007 Mini, but earlier versions also work (as early as 10.4, from the wiki page). However, I should note that while 10.4 through 10.6 will work with 1 GB of RAM, 10.7 requires at least 2 GB. So you won't be able to install 10.7 until the Mini has a little more RAM. :)

any idea about how much could cost the upgrade to 4GB on this machine.

The current price at the Other World Computing site for 4 GB RAM for a 2007 Mini: $33.79

dogslobber

macrumors 601
Oct 19, 2014
Apple Campus, Cupertino CA
Hello

I am new with mac computers but believe me I am really happy. I was given a mac mini with the following specification:

Apple Mac Mini Core 2 Duo A1176 Mid-07
(1.83GHz, 1GB RAM, 80GB HDD)

And I would like to upgrade memory and storage as well the os but before I do that I need to know if it is possible. could I install one of the recent osx versions?, what the is the maximum on memory that it supports?, Could you please help me to find it out?.

Thank you very much!!!

I have one of these too. It groans under strain when running 10.7 via the spinner. Interestingly, it doesn't gobble memory like El Cap does. The big problem for El Cap is running sandboxed browsers due to the memory hog requirements. Safari in 10.7 is quite lean.

willv84

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2014
Hello guys, one week ago I started by the first time a mac computer and you were right, it is just awesome, but I have several things that I would like you to help me, but before let me share with you the characteristic that it has:

Mac Mini A1176
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0 GHz
Mac OS X 10.5.8
120GB HDD
2GB Ram 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

I would like to know if you can tell me why where is the app store? I tried to go to itunes but this does not work, it says "iTunes required QuickTime 7.5.5" but then I cannot updated because it says my computer is up today, so I read that I had to buy the version 10.6 in order to get the app store icon and itunes working, is that correct?

Then I tried to install Xcode since I'm interested to know how does it work and I could install it but then I found I should have done it by mean of the app store.

Finally is there a book that can be used to learn how to use it a Mac. I am sorry I have dealt with windows all my life so that is why I wanted to go Mac.
I do appreciated all your help,

Thanks

jpietrzak8

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
I would like to know if you can tell me why where is the app store?

Yeah, Apple created the Mac App Store as an integral part of OS X, and the first release of it came with version 10.6. So, you'll need to upgrade the OS in order to get the store running.

I'm pretty sure the only way to upgrade to 10.6 is to purchase an installation disk. So Apple does still sell these:

http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MC573Z/A/mac-os-x-106-snow-leopard

Finally is there a book that can be used to learn how to use it a Mac.

You know, that's a good question; there used to be tutorials everywhere about how to learn to use OS X. Apple themselves made it a significant part of their website. (Although I suppose I really haven't looked around for such things myself in a while.)

They do still have a limited "Mac Basics" web page if you're interested. Since it covers the most recent releases of the OS, it's probably going to be a little different than the version you are running...

https://www.apple.com/support/macbasics/

Kaida

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2016
Singapore
Download(or use the original DVD) and mount the .dmg from 10.5 10. or 10.7 on another Mac or the 2007 itself.

Use a USB thumbdrive 8GB at least and go to disk utility.

In disk utility, select the USB and choose "restore from.." then choose the mounted .dmg volume.

After it is completed, just start the 2007 with option key pressed during power on. Choose to boot from the usb and follow from there.

Last edited:

v1597psh

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2014
London
Oh guys you're not getting a lot of things. First, this machine only fully supports 3GB of Ram, second, installing SSD is absolutely unnecessary thing as SATA controller there only runs at 1.5Gb/s. A modern HDD will do the thing. Moreover this Mac will not fully run any of operating systems newer than 10.8.5 as 10.9 dropped support for Intel GMA 950 integrated graphics and airport card of this generation.

To install OS X Mountain Lion, you'll need to do a lot of modifications or use compiled scripts like MLPostFactor. (Just search the web for it).

Even if you install Mountain Lion on this Mac, a lot of apps no longer support old operating systems and it no longer gets any security updates from Apple.

This Mac is only good for specific tasks like media or other kind of server and not for everyday use. I recommend buying a 2009 Mac mini for the future.

dogslobber

macrumors 601
Oct 19, 2014
Apple Campus, Cupertino CA
Oh guys you're not getting a lot of things. First, this machine only fully supports 3GB of Ram, second, installing SSD is absolutely unnecessary thing as SATA controller there only runs at 1.5Gb/s. A modern HDD will do the thing. Moreover this Mac will not fully run any of operating systems newer than 10.8.5 as 10.9 dropped support for Intel GMA 950 integrated graphics and airport card of this generation.

An SSD will always enhance the experience of using a computer in place of a spinner. It doesn't help the Mini that the 2.5" drives are pedestrian and spinners in general are constrained by the seek time and floored by parallel ops. In other words, an SSD always wins.

This Mac is only good for specific tasks like media or other kind of server and not for everyday use. I recommend buying a 2009 Mac mini for the future.

2009 Mini doesn't do Sierra so it's a limited future with those :)

jpietrzak8

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
Oh guys you're not getting a lot of things.

I disagree. :)

First, this machine only fully supports 3GB of Ram,

Ah yes, and as we all know, 3 GB is not better than 2 GB. Besides, you'd be wasting an entire $7-$8 worth of RAM if you installed two 2GB sticks into a 2007 Mini.

Honestly, OS X 10.6 (which is what I'm using on my 2007 Mini) is, compared to modern OS X, incredibly efficient in terms of RAM usage. You can do a lot more with 3 GB of RAM under 10.6 than you can under 10.11.

second, installing SSD is absolutely unnecessary thing as SATA controller there only runs at 1.5Gb/s.

Ah yes, and as we all know, the only advantage with an SSD is raw throughput. ;) Personally, I don't deal in extremely large files enough to even care about max throughput; the true advantage of an SSD is in random access to storage. Where a spinning platter drive has to physically move the read head, align it with a specific track, and locate the start of that track before it can begin reading, an SSD can instantly access any storage location. This advantage remains regardless of how the drive is connected to the computer.

To install OS X Mountain Lion, you'll need to do a lot of modifications or use compiled scripts like MLPostFactor.

Solution: don't do it. 10.6 is fine for lots of tasks.

This Mac is only good for specific tasks like media or other kind of server and not for everyday use.

Depends on your everyday use. :) I admit that mine is currently my HTPC, so I'm not using it for general tasks, but I could see it still being useful that way. And I do keep mine running 24/7.

I recommend buying a 2009 Mac mini for the future.

You'd better change that to a 2010 (or later) Mini. Apple has dropped support for macOS on the 2009 Minis.

Reactions: Celerondon

willv84

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2014
Hello guys

I hope you all are doing great!!!!.
Based in all the feed backs you have shared with me I bought the version 10.6.3. I believed I have mentioned this before but I will do it again just in case. All my life I have used windows (please forgive me, but now I see the light :apple: haha :):)) is it difficult to perform a re-image on mac os?, what things do I need to take into consideration while I do it?

Thank you very much fellows!!! :apple:

theatremusician

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2013
The best OS for your machine is 10.6. It's speedy especially with an SSD and maxed out ram. 10.7 is a bit slower but still usable. Use Opera as your browser and it will run better than Safari.

ApolloBoy

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2015
San Jose, CA
second, installing SSD is absolutely unnecessary thing as SATA controller there only runs at 1.5Gb/s. A modern HDD will do the thing.
That's complete nonsense, I had a 2007 MacBook with the same hardware as the OP's mini, and before I dumped it I upgraded it with an SSD and the difference was incredible. If it hadn't literally started falling apart I'd still have it as a secondary computer.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Hello guys

I hope you all are doing great!!!!.
Based in all the feed backs you have shared with me I bought the version 10.6.3. I believed I have mentioned this before but I will do it again just in case. All my life I have used windows (please forgive me, but now I see the light :apple: haha :):)) is it difficult to perform a re-image on mac os?, what things do I need to take into consideration while I do it?

Thank you very much fellows!!! :apple:
Once you install the Snlow Leopard disc, then download http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1399 which gives you the "latest" (five year old) Snow Leopard update, and the App Store. App Store actually came on 10.6.6 so it's not on the DVD.

xjimjimx

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2017
I did this Core 2 Duo processor, 2,1 EFI, 4GB RAM, & OS 10.7.5 upgrade years ago (it's now June 2017), and I recently saw a quad core Xeon with a 667mhz bus, and M socket.
I was wondering if anyone upgraded to a Xeon, and if anyone knows if it would or wouldn't work.
I may find the time to try it in the next 6 months.... It was only $20, but I'm wondering if I'd fry anything if I did it.
Thanks
--jim

xjimjimx

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2017
I've built a box of plexi that it sits on about 3/4 its size, and has a 5V fan AND air filter, that I power off the serial bus, so it's always cool.
Even when it was a 1.5 GHz, it ran too warm for me.....
I'm surprised that a publicly owned company didn't do what I did.. Or kiksturter, entrap-e-nur, pushback, yayh!!!!, rocking',etc...
I'm always forcing FILTERED, quiet air through it, even when it doesn't need it..

--jim

ApolloBoy

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2015
San Jose, CA
Actually are you sure that was a Socket M chip? The only chips that use Socket M are the Core/Core 2 line and some Celerons and Pentiums.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.