Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

berkeleyover

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 2, 2010
I just picked up a powerful Mac Mini to hook up to my Sharp 52" HDTV in my living room via an HDMI adapter. For the first few days everything was working great. I restarted my machine today and when it booted back up there was no display... I had to fiddle with the keyboard/mouse/power button until it finally recognized that I was trying to communicate with it. Once I finally got the display back up, I noticed that various visual functions are now lagging in ways they weren't previously...

Most websites viewed in any browser (I primarily use Safari) when being scrolled through will render very sloooowly, as if the display hardware is hiccuping or something. The same problem occurs when attempting to drag a window... even if only slightly... from one section of the screen to another. The lag on window-dragging is system wide and not specific to browser windows. It's all very frustrating and is hindering my ability to multi-task as I had previously been doing...

There are a few reasons that this is making no sense to me at all. For one, I have the same display settings I had before this problem started occuring (1080p, 1600 x 900 Resolution, 60 Hertz (NTSC) Refresh Rate, Overscan turned off). Secondly, there are visual functions of my system that would seemingly have similar problems but oddly do not (example: Holding 'Control" and scrolling to zoom in or out is smooth and crisp with no signs of error or lag). Finally, all video, wether it's YouTube or a DVD or whatever, is displaying just as clean and fast as it was previously.

Does anyone have any insight into this issue? Thanks...

berkeleyover

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 2, 2010
Quick Update (knocking on wood)...

I happen to have two different HDMI adapters (one for MiniDisplayPort and one for MiniVGIPort)... I've switched one out for the other and currently everything is rosy. Hopefully this is the end of my issue... if it persists I will repost and desperately ask for advice... again. Thanks for any and all who had/have ideas for this type of problem...

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Take the one you removed to another monitor and try it. Or, take it to an electronics store and see if they will test it for you. Sometimes that's free, 'cause they figure they can make a sale.

berkeleyover

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 2, 2010
Take the one you removed to another monitor and try it. Or, take it to an electronics store and see if they will test it for you. Sometimes that's free, 'cause they figure they can make a sale.

Thanks, that's a good idea. I appreciate the input... :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.