Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skndstry

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2021
***Long post warning.

So, long story short, I swapped out the hard drive for an ssd and have been failing to install Mac OS ever since

1st problem: after removing the hard drive, I realized that my data to usb cable broke. Great start to the day.

2nd problem: keys for recoveryOS goes into internet recovery for some reason. After going into internet recovery to install El Capitan, It shows the apple logo for 1 sec and then goes to prohibition sign and folder w/ question mark. Great. Reseting NVRam doesn't help.

3rd problem: using actual shortcuts for internet recovery gives error -50101F after loading the files. Great.

4rd problem: After creating a Big Sur installation usb using terminal and another Mac, it loads fine but then, in the middle of the installation, it comes up with "An error occurred loading the update.". Me thinking that the problem might be the fact that the disk was using Mac OS Extended as its file system, I formatted the ssd. This somehow took an absurd amount of time. Then I used the first aid tool within to check. Nothing was wrong. The same error occurred after the format, failing about 12 minutes till the end of the installation.

After running diagnostics, the code VDH002 comes up. From my understanding it is just a common error from installing 3rd party ssd on Macs?

Anyways, because of the fact that the ssd worked totally fine, I feel like that the Mac install somehow screwed up my SSD. Nice :D. Ran a couple of tests in windows PE, and there are an absurd amount of bad sectors. More than half of the sectors are red. For an ssd this age, (less than 1/2 year of usage (aka. sitting in its box and only plugged into a computer when it is being used for Windows install) this shouldn't happen.

Thinking that I screwed something up, I used the dd command to write 0s to the drive. That went on fine. But it still did not solve the issue.

I then changed the drive from MBR to GPT. For some reason, out of windows Diskpart, the disk changes to MBR. Anyways, after testing the disk for errors, none are found. Hurray! ahhhhh,,,, no. Mac OS still failing, and then something interesting catches my eyes: the ssd are not writable. WTF?
Then, after looking in the system info from the usb install, I can see that the ssd is being recognized completely fine.

For some reason, an reboot attempt shows a new boot option, windows. Upon entering said option just says something along the lines of "No valid boot device found", "enter boot device and press any key" etc. any clues?

Basic specs of this Mac mini:
i5 4th Gen
8GB RAM
Kingston A400 ssd (after upgrade)

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
1. Get a USB3 enclosure. Search amazon for "Sabrent". $10.

2. Put the original HDD into it.

3. Connect it to the Mini

4. Boot with the option key held down to invoke the startup manager. When you see the icon for the external drive, click it and hit return.

5. The Mini should now boot from the original drive. Once booted:

6. Download CarbonCopyCloner. CCC is FREE to download and use for 30 days, "doing things my way" will cost you nothing.

7. Use CCC to clone the contents of the original HDD to the SSD.

8. When the clone is done, reboot and AGAIN use the "option key trick" to now select the internal SSD as the new boot drive.

9. Do you get a good boot? Then...

10. You're done.

skndstry

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2021
1. Get a USB3 enclosure. Search amazon for "Sabrent". $10.

2. Put the original HDD into it.

3. Connect it to the Mini

4. Boot with the option key held down to invoke the startup manager. When you see the icon for the external drive, click it and hit return.

5. The Mini should now boot from the original drive. Once booted:

6. Download CarbonCopyCloner. CCC is FREE to download and use for 30 days, "doing things my way" will cost you nothing.

7. Use CCC to clone the contents of the original HDD to the SSD.

8. When the clone is done, reboot and AGAIN use the "option key trick" to now select the internal SSD as the new boot drive.

9. Do you get a good boot? Then...

10. You're done.
Hi - thanks for the suggestion. I will try it this way, but the fact that windows also failed to install is kind of worrying...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.