Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kjartan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2005
With the small performance boost this coming week, would a 1.5 GHz Mac Mini be powerful enough to run Apple's Logic Pro? I'll be putting a gig of RAM into it of course. Apple tends to have very small system requirements (a single G4 processor), and ridiculously high system *recomendations*--far beyond the requirements (dual G5's).

Any help you could throw at me would be much appreciated!

--kjartan

FF_productions

macrumors 68030
Apr 16, 2005
Mt. Prospect, Illinois
Well, the Minimum requirements apple set is so you can just RUN the program. Obviously its going to be slow on a mini, but if you are actually serious about audio stuff, you would get a powermac g5. Mini's shouldn't be used with pro apps. the iMac g5, is the bottom of the line (in my opinion) to run pro apps. (Funny I'm trying to get a iMac g5...)

kjartan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2005
FF_productions said:
Well, the Minimum requirements apple set is so you can just RUN the program. Obviously its going to be slow on a mini, but if you are actually serious about audio stuff, you would get a powermac g5. Mini's shouldn't be used with pro apps. the iMac g5, is the bottom of the line (in my opinion) to run pro apps. (Funny I'm trying to get a iMac g5...)

Yeah that's kinda what I was thinking. I was looking at the Mini to perhaps save some cash, but skimping out on power/performance probably isn't the best choice. Portability is a big issue here. A friend of mine and I are starting an electronica group, and we'll be taking it to gigs and practice areas and such. The G5 iMac would probably suit us best. Pricing out a top-of-the-line Mini, monitor, keyboard and mouse is almost gonna add up to an iMac anyway.

Thanks for the help!
--kjartan

Err

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2005
the mini will do an alright job with logic, i mean its basicly a headless powerbook, which alot of pro's use, what do you think people mixed on 2 years ago? g4 powermacs. a g5 is not a req to mix music.

.:*Robot Boy*:.

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2005
New Zealand
Err said:
the mini will do an alright job with logic, i mean its basicly a headless powerbook, which alot of pro's use, what do you think people mixed on 2 years ago? g4 powermacs. a g5 is not a req to mix music.

Exactly - Logic runs perfectly on my 1.67GHz PowerBook and it runs just as well on the 1GHz G4 iMacs at polytech. If you really need to use a lot of instances of plugins, you're doing something very wrong during tracking.

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
Runs fine on my 1Ghz PowerBook, 1Gb RAM, until I start loading the Instrument tracks up or using a lot of the Space designer plug-in or my Altiverb, then it grinds a bit.... :D

Runs well on anything above a 1Ghz G4 really, but you'll notice the hit as your projects get bigger.

If you keep using the "Track freeze" function on your instruments, you'll get a much better return, audio is easier to process than a soft-synth.

numediaman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2004
Chicago (by way of SF)
I have a mini -- don't do it. Make your life less stressful, invest in a more powerful Mac. If its a money issue, then buy the mini, but use other apps. I run several audio programs well on the mini, but nothing at the pro level.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.