Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stormer13

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 12, 2009
Hi all,

I do mild/moderate video editing (mainly HD with most videos under 5 minutes, but there is a chance that there may be some 4k in the future), and I'm considering the new M2 mini. Ideally, I would opt for the base model and upgrade to 16GB/512GB, but I need it by next week and can't wait until the end of February to get it delivered. Currently, the M2 pro is out of budget (and likely overkill anyways), so that leaves me to choose between the base model or the mid model with the 512GB storage that you can pick up directly from the store today. Would I see a significant increase in performance with the higher speed in the 512GD SSD? (I'm not worried about the overall storage since I use an external SSD for that)

Thanks!

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
For what you want to do - it could also be done on an iPhone or iPad, so any of the new Mac Minis will be fine. If the budget is tight, just get the base model M2. It’ll do everything you want. Maybe bump the storage up to 512GB.

Mainiac

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2016
Maine
I'd say pickup the $599 base model ($499 with Edu discount) and give it a spin. I picked one up on Wednesday for my daughter. She is in a New Media program in high school and creates HD videos in the 2-5 minute range. She used it to work on a video (using Adobe Premiere Pro) and said there were very little difference between it and the M1 Mac Studio she uses at school. Now obviously this is due to the fact that she isn't stressing it with with more advanced and/or 4K videos. I've watched a lot of videos and some specifically about video editing and the consensus seems to be it is fine for light to moderate 4K video work.

The most recommended upgrade is another 8GB of RAM for 16GB total. This will make memory swapping less frequent and with the slower 256GB of the $599 version would be an improvement. Going to 512GB storage would increase disk read/write speed but most say it isn't worth the extra $200 and to put that money into a good external SSD. You can get 2TB for that same $200.

My daughter will be working with it more over the next week and we will then decide if we will keep it as is or return it and order a 16GB version. Either way it will be good enough to get her by her remaining 1.5 years of high school and we will then get her a well speced Macbook Pro for college as she will be going there specifically for video editing.

stormer13

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 12, 2009
Thanks all for the replies, yes I'm definitely leaning toward the base model. I wish they had offered the mid-version with 16/512. I already have a good external ssd so I should be good on that, and unless staying with the 256 doesn't affect performance too much, the base does seem to be the best value.

magphotos

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2023
Turin, Italy
The best advice I can give you is to really consider upgrading the RAM to 16gb. 8gb are totally fine for FullHD, but if you are planning to keep this Mac for more than 2 years and even start editing 4K videos, you definitely need 16GB.
If you are in a hurry you should pick the base model at a local store and give it a go, then return it before 14 days.

Regarding the SSD, you should consider upgrading to 512, you will see a performance increase.

If you are doing the investment, think wise and do it in the better way possible: M2 with 16GB/512SSD.

Source: professional photographer and videographer. I tried the Mac mini M1 with 8gb, was not enough, returned and upgraded to 16gb.

Source part 2: I currently have a Mac mini M2 Pro and when I am editing 4K H.264 8bit, in Premiere Pro or DaVinci, I have 10gb of ram being used mostly always.

stormer13

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 12, 2009
The best advice I can give you is to really consider upgrading the RAM to 16gb. 8gb are totally fine for FullHD, but if you are planning to keep this Mac for more than 2 years and even starting to edit 4K videos, you definitely need 16GB.
If you are in a hurry you should pick the base model at a local store and give it a go, then return it before 14 days.

Regarding the SSD, you should consider upgrading to 512, you will see a performance increase.

If you are doing the investment, think wise and do it in the better way possible: M2 with 16GB/512SSD.

Source: professional photographer and videographer. I tried the Mac mini M1 with 8gb, was not enough, returned and upgraded to 16gb.
Yes, that is my main worry. I want to go with the 16GB but the estimated delivery is Feb 28 and I can't wait that long. That's the main reason I was hoping the base model was just good enough for what I needed.

magphotos

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2023
Turin, Italy
Yes, I understand your worries. I would suggest getting the base 8GB and trying doing some video editing based on your workflow, even in 4K, so you can decide.

PCandaMac

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2010
Hi all,

I do mild/moderate video editing (mainly HD with most videos under 5 minutes, but there is a chance that there may be some 4k in the future), and I'm considering the new M2 mini. Ideally, I would opt for the base model and upgrade to 16GB/512GB, but I need it by next week and can't wait until the end of February to get it delivered. Currently, the M2 pro is out of budget (and likely overkill anyways), so that leaves me to choose between the base model or the mid model with the 512GB storage that you can pick up directly from the store today. Would I see a significant increase in performance with the higher speed in the 512GD SSD? (I'm not worried about the overall storage since I use an external SSD for that)

Thanks!
Apple's shipping times are a lot better than what they promise at time of purchase. I placed an order for the 16GB/512GB Mini on Jan 30. At that time Apple said expect delivery Feb 14-21. Today's tracking update is showing delivery on Feb 9. That's 10 days to get the config I will feel secure with.

gazwas

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2008
I’ve been using an M1 MBP with 8 core cpu/gpu 256GB 8GB to professionally edit 4K Canon footage since December 2020. Footage is stored on an external fast SSD and it works perfectly.

The only issues I’ve come across using it professionally is only two thunderbolt ports (your mileage may vary) and if you use lots of effect plugins, LUT’s, text effects, and tracking all in the same timeline then the footage needs to be optimised (Converted from Camera codec to ProRes) or the machine will run out of RAM when you export.

As a comparison, an (on paper) much more powerful but older intel Mac I had to work with proxy footage just to play the timeline in 4K.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.