Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

toonshorty

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 11, 2009
My dad has an unused Mac Mini in his office after he had to make a few people redundant due to recession and so I was thinking about buying the mini off him.

The current school computers take about 20 minutes just to load the start menu and Microsoft Word alongside Internet Explorer overloads the system and makes it crash. Underfunded high school ftw?

I was thinking, I'll just bring the mac mini, keyboard and mouse then when I'm in the lesson I'll sit down and remove the VGA cable from the PC and put it into the mac mini.

I'll install Windows XP on VM Ware and then the stupid teachers (trust me, they wouldn't notice the big silver thing on the desk) would think it was legit.

Is it a good idea; is it worth it?

kozlosap

macrumors member
I sent my daughter off to undergrad school with a macbook which lasted her 4 years. She bought a new mac book pro with the "9" hour battery in the fall and she loves it. She is now in law school and that long battery life is a great. Even the cheaper macbooks have the good battery now. Can't go wrong with a macbook!:rolleyes:

toonshorty

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 11, 2009
OK, my dad said I could buy the mac mini :D

I was actually expecting him to say no.

Hopefully he'll come back with a good price somewhere below £200.

toonshorty

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 11, 2009
It's the older Intel model I think.

The one with VGA port.

It's the first Intel model I think.

Kebabselector

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2007
Birmingham, UK
Personally I think it's worth getting, but not worth attempting to use it at school. Most likely the school will have an issue with you bringing your own kit in and plugging it into the network.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.