Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GadgetGirl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2004
madrobby said:
1. I suppose she has a display already, or no Mac mini...
2. A CRT is much more affordable (21" is $350+)

BTW, a Mac mini for video editing has one big setback: No dual monitor support, that is...

no display yet, planning to get a 19" crt....still less than an imac G5.
GadgetGirl

neut

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2001
here (for now)
GadgetGirl said:
no display yet, planning to get a 19" crt....still less than an imac G5.
GadgetGirl

if you can fit them ... i would recommened two 17" CRTs (1280x1024) over a single 19". The timeline and windows/pallets on one side and a preview + correction pallets. i use two 19"s here at work. ;)

peace.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
When I did my project in FCE I used dual-display on my 12" Powerbook along with an external 17" LCD running 1280x1024. I put my clip bins as a full-screen window on the PB itself (1024x768) and the entire 17" LCD was used up for the other windows (source, timeline, etc). Worked very nicely.

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
GadgetGirl said:
Hi,

I would like to know if the mac mini will handle basic video editing. I plan to use Final Cut Express, and add more ram. What do you guys think? I know that the iBooks and PB's will be G5s by the end of the year, but the mini is in my price range.

Thanks!

GadgetGirl

Why would anyone say ANY modern Mac released today will not edit DV, I mean come on now, have you heard of a product called "iLife", thats right it includes guess what iMove. ;) Why would Apple ship a suite that would not run decently on a system it is packaged with. :confused: :)

neut

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2001
here (for now)
maya said:
Why would anyone say ANY modern Mac released today will not edit DV, I mean come on now, have you heard of a product called "iLife", thats right it includes guess what iMove. ;) Why would Apple ship a suite that would not run decently on a system it is packaged with. :confused: :)

i would like to see the mini running iMovie HD ... while runnin iPhoto, Safari, iTunes, Garageband, iDVD, Mail, iCal, stickies and calculator (most in dashboard of course). if it can do that well, there should be any problems with much else; except window scolling that is ... even my G5s fans rev up when i do that. ;)

peace.

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
neut said:
i would like to see the mini running iMovie HD ... while runnin iPhoto, Safari, iTunes, Garageband, iDVD, Mail, iCal, stickies and calculator (most in dashboard of course). if it can do that well, there should be any problems with much else; except window scolling that is ... even my G5s fans rev up when i do that. ;)

peace.

Which G5 are you running a PM or iMac, since I already know the iMac G5 fan revving issue(s), since its using the old 130nm chip and there are other faults with it that I found out first hand. :)

Do you have enough ram, have it in a cooled (temperature) room, or are you sitting near a heater. ;) :)

neut

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2001
here (for now)
maya said:
Which G5 are you running a PM or iMac, since I already know the iMac G5 fan revving issue(s), since its using the old 130nm chip and there are other faults with it that I found out first hand. :)

Do you have enough ram, have it in a cooled (temperature) room, or are you sitting near a heater. ;) :)

it runs cool all the time ... the fans only kick on when i start a program (and only for a few seconds), when it locks up (they go full blast), and when i scroll a browser window up and down really fast. :D

it's a DP2.5 ... :)

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
neut said:
it runs cool all the time ... the fans only kick on when i start a program (and only for a few seconds), when it locks up (they go full blast), and when i scroll a browser window up and down really fast. :D

it's a DP2.5 ... :)

It could be one of many issues with the system or the system software.

I do not have a DP 2.5 for the very reason I am not the kind to pay for CUTTING EDGE technology that will drop in price in a year or so. :)

Though it sounds odd, only time I have had fans rev up on my G3, G4 and G5 system way when I started using a java application and watching HD movies (not via Optical). However that way it never when I opened several applications then again my systems have over 512MB ram. :)

za9ra22

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2003
neut said:

peace.

I never thought of running Safari, Mail, iCal etc all at the same time too, but iMovie, iTunes, iPhoto, iDVD and Graphic Converter run concurrently on my G4 450 just fine. Rendering effects in iMovie is a tad slow (but it always has been anyway) and switching between the apps takes a second, but it's stable and usable.

neut

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2001
here (for now)
maya said:
It could be one of many issues with the system or the system software.

I do not have a DP 2.5 for the very reason I am not the kind to pay for CUTTING EDGE technology that will drop in price in a year or so. :)

Though it sounds odd, only time I have had fans rev up on my G3, G4 and G5 system way when I started using a java application and watching HD movies (not via Optical). However that way it never when I opened several applications then again my systems have over 512MB ram. :)

i have 1.5Gs of RAM.

the fans are a common problem with the 2.5s. the 2.0s seem more reliable (sound studio guys use them). hard locks are more common than i would like ... the machine screams though. ;) im getting into Motion work so i thought it would suit me better. it's a refurb so $ wasn't too bad. if Motion requirments weren't so steep and i worked a little cleaner/minimal i could have got a 2.0, but this 2.5 should keep good value and or last me a few years (though im sure i'll sell in a year and a half as usual). ;) :D

peace.

neut

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2001
here (for now)
za9ra22 said:
I never thought of running Safari, Mail, iCal etc all at the same time too, but iMovie, iTunes, iPhoto, iDVD and Graphic Converter run concurrently on my G4 450 just fine. Rendering effects in iMovie is a tad slow (but it always has been anyway) and switching between the apps takes a second, but it's stable and usable.

yeah, i think any AGP Pmac has the capability to do just about everything.

i know i loved my DP 450 G4. :D i hear it's still running strong ...

peace.

*oops, sorry about the double post ... odd timings.

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
neut said:
i have 1.5Gs of RAM.

the fans are a common problem with the 2.5s. the 2.0s seem more reliable (sound studio guys use them). hard locks are more common than i would like ... the machine screams though. ;) im getting into Motion work so i thought it would suit me better. it's a refurb so $ wasn't too bad. if Motion requirments weren't so steep and i worked a little cleaner/minimal i could have got a 2.0, but this 2.5 should keep good value and or last me a few years (though im sure i'll sell in a year and a half as usual). ;) :D

peace.

I am also going to buy a refurb PM down the road, however don't need to use motion until version 2 is out and it matures a little. :)

I also do not like the water cooler idea, and if Apple had a refurb 2.0GHz and I needed it right now I would not think twice. :)

neut

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2001
here (for now)
maya said:
You can buy an adapter that will split the video signal and use mirror or dual display mode. ;) :)

yeah, not the most elegant solution though. ;)

splitting 32MB of VRAM isn't too fun for video. :)

peace.

***** ... here i go double posting; again! :p

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
neut said:
yeah, not the most elegant solution though. ;)

splitting 32MB of VRAM isn't too fun for video. :)

peace.

***** ... here i go double posting; again! :p

What else will cheap buy? ;) :)

I don't think people care if you hide the splitter and wires all they will see is the mini and wonder, I believe the PSU is also in there. NICE. <-- when it is not. ;) :)

FCP, FCexpress, and iMove will run fine on 16MB. One just has to be patient that is all. :)

enclave

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2004
filmmaker2002 said:
Not necessarily. The FW bus is wide enough to support camera and HD. In fact, on many occasions I have plugged my camera into my external FW drive and captured the footage TO that drive through FCP. No problems.

Thats exactly what I do, works fine

I dont trust the USB2 ports, they never seem to perform as well as the firewire connection

neut

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2001
here (for now)
maya said:
What else will cheap buy? ;) :)

I don't think people care if you hide the splitter and wires all they will see is the mini and wonder, I believe the PSU is also in there. NICE. <-- when it is not. ;) :)

FCP, FCexpress, and iMove will run fine on 16MB. One just has to be patient that is all. :)

i guess its no different when hacking the iBook to run dual monitors. :p

peace.

madrobby

macrumors regular
May 3, 2003
Daham
maya said:
You can buy an adapter that will split the video signal and use mirror or dual display mode. ;) :)

Could you post a link to something like this? Mirroring = of course, but Dual display mode?

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
748s said:
the mini has one firewire port. so if you are using an external firewire drive and a camera daisy-chained expect dropped frames.

This is one thing I never understood. If the camera is digital, FireWire is digital... Why is there dropped frames? Is the camera simply sending the data in a dumb mode with no control whatsoever?!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.