Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macchiato2009

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 14, 2009
Hi

i have the feeling that the SSD is a bit hotter than a normal HDD because of the aluminium casing

i was wondering if instead of putting the thermal sensor back against the SSD, I could stick it somewhere else inside the mini so that the sensor is always touching a cool part ?

thx

DewGuy1999

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2009
Since the temperature sensor is there to track the drive's temperature and assist with the cooling of the mac why would you want to put it somewhere cool?

macchiato2009

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 14, 2009
Since the temperature sensor is there to track the drive's temperature and assist with the cooling of the mac why would you want to put it somewhere cool?

because the thermal sensor is supposed to help cooling the mac using a HDD

since i have no more HDD, but a SSD,

there is no need for the fan to run faster

1500 rpm is just fine for my machine

DewGuy1999

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2009
If the SSD runs at the same temperature or cooler than a HDD then the point is moot. If the SSD runs hotter than a HDD then having the sensor on it is even more important for the temperature management of the Mac. So IMHO putting the sensor on the SSD in approximately the same position as the HDD is the logical thing to do. Either way you're covered. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.