Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

makeminemaudlin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 25, 2008
DC
Hey all. I just upgraded the HDD in my Mini from a 60BG to a 500GB. The process I used was pretty simple: cloned the original volume with Clonezilla then installed the new HDD.

HOWEVER!

The cloned volume partitioned the new HDD to the exact same size as my first (60GB) and for the life of me, I can NOT figure out how to fix this!!!! I've spent a week working on it. Can anyone tell me how to fix this? Am I going to have to sacrifice everything I have on there to get this new HDD to work? This doesn't make sense to me at all...

Help!

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
clonezilla does only what you ask it to do not more if you just say clone then it simply does that and not more , thats why you got a 60gb partition on your new bigger harddrive , tell it to use more space when partitioning the new harddrive ..job done and you get the full 500gb

i just use carbon copy cloner , because its easier to handle ;)

makeminemaudlin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 25, 2008
DC
i just use carbon copy cloner , because its easier to handle ;)[/QUOTE]

that sounds good, but how can I boot from the CCC-cloned disk? I went this route recently, but can't get it to actually *run*. Thoughts?

indg

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2007
after cloning, can't you just use Disk Utility to expand the partition? as long as there's empty space behind the utilized partition, it should be relatively quick to expand since it doesn't have to move any data.

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
I take it that you put it in an external USB enclosure? If the 500gb is already installed, put your stock 60gb in the external enclosure and boot up holding down the Option key. Select your old 60gb as the startup volume. I'd download SuperDuper!(or Carbon Copy Cloner) and then go to disc utility and repartition your new drive as one 500gb partition and wipe it clean and start over using SD! or CCC. Those are by far the easiest and best cloning options for OS-X.

Don't delete/format your original 60gb hard drive unless you successfully clone it to your 500gb. I'd keep the original for a few days to make sure the new drive runs OK.

ADent

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2007
I would reclone as they suggested.

There are ways to resize partitions non-destructively with Disk Utility.

bplein

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2007
Austin, TX USA
Make sure you create the partition on the new drive as GPT. Carbon Copy Cloner won't do that for you, it will gladly clone a GPT to an MBR volume, which in turn won't be bootable (I am assuming Intel mini?)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.