Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KevinAPearson

macrumors member
Original poster
May 12, 2018
UK
I've just had a really strange trade in problem using Apple web site.

I've upgraded my 2018 i7 Mac mini to the M1 version.
I thought I'd use the trade in service from the Apple web site as it was really easy with my old iPhone.
I went through the process entering the model and serial number, ssd size etc and was offered £300
After receiving my new M1 Mac mini, the empty box turned up to send in my old Mac.
The box was much bigger than the Mini so I followed the instructions to pack it but also taped the mini down to stop it sliding around in the box. (I didn't put any tape on the actual Mac)

Today I received a message saying "Your trade-in value has changed" with the reason:
Product or serial number does not match your description

Now only offering £210 - I rejected the offer and contacted Apple.
They said the company, Alchemy, had said the serial number didn't match!
I checked the serial number on the photo they sent me of the back of my old Mac mini and it matched the one on the original box I still have and also the one on my Apple Care+ email. (There was no damage during delivery btw)

The Apple colleague didn't understand why the trade-in company said there was a problem even though the serial numbers clearly did match.

Apple have now asked them to re evaluate the trade-in value and will let me know within a couple of days.

My questions are; has anyone else had this happen to them and should I be worried that they are trying to scam me in some way?
I'm really surprised that a company trusted by Apple has done this.
I'll admit it has really spoiled my experience and I doubt I'll be using Apple trade-in next time.

BigBlur

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2021
I don’t know if I’d say it’s “common”, but I’ve read similar posts before, especially with Phobio. (Can search the forums.) Sounds like this went to a different company, but it doesn’t surprise me they could be doing the same thing.

MR had a story awhile back about Phobio.

Since you have proof, I’m sure they or Apple will do the right thing.

Reactions: KevinAPearson

KevinAPearson

macrumors member
Original poster
May 12, 2018
UK
Update: This morning I received my Mac mini back and also an empty box to send it back to them again!
The Mac mini was loose inside the box, just sliding around. Luckily no obvious damage so far.
The Mini was wiped completly without even a partition on the drive. I had to do a complete re install of the OS.
The recovery software couldn't even find the drive to re-install on to. Luckily I'm not a newbie so I knew how to fix that.
I do think someone receiving their Mac back at that point would be lost. It makes me wonder if that isn't part of the plan? Did they expect me to admit defeat and send it back for the £210?
I've now re-installed Catalina and checked out the serial number and surprise, surprise; it matches.
I'm currently installing Monterey and will sell the now fully working Mac mini on Ebay for around £500 I think.

This whole debacle has soured the idea of ever doing an Apple trade-in again.

Reactions: StumpJumper

KevinAPearson

macrumors member
Original poster
May 12, 2018
UK
I don’t know if I’d say it’s “common”, but I’ve read similar posts before, especially with Phobio. (Can search the forums.) Sounds like this went to a different company, but it doesn’t surprise me they could be doing the same thing.

MR had a story awhile back about Phobio.

Since you have proof, I’m sure they or Apple will do the right thing.
I've just posted an update...

moc99

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2020
I just checked the trade in value for my 2018 Mac mini today: it's not even listed as a potential trade in, and after choosing "Other" and entering my SN I get a message saying "This device isn’t currently accepted for trade in." It was purchased in November 2018. They're happy to trade my 6 year old MacBook Pro though. Odd.

frou

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2009
£210 is a rather insulting amount for the entire Mac, because when buying that model, Apple charge £200 just as the incremental price to go from i5 to i7 CPU.

Screenshot 2022-04-20 at 07.52.54.png

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.