Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Studio Uno

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 23, 2010
Mac mini (Intel Core 2 Duo - 1.83GHz) RAM
I was looking to upgrade to 4gb, I know it will only support 3gb but that's fine. The problem with trying to find the EXACT ram i need is that the Crucial scanner only recommends upgrading to 2GB.

How efficient will this RAM help me on Final Cut, and Logic Studio Pro? I'm looking to eventually upgrade to a mac pro but in the meantime i want to run these applications without them freezing up. I'm thinking it will be much better 1GB->3GB?

indg

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2007
i have 2.33ghz mbp and a 2.16 imac both with 3gb of ram. final cut studio (fcp 7) works fine. i used to run fcp on a g4 titanium powerbook with 1gb of ram. so you can probably get by with 2gb (maybe not hd video though). the integrated intel graphics in your mini will eat some of your ram (64-80mb), but you should still be ok.

3gb ram will be utilized, even if you put in 4gb. i think apple's spec says 2gb max for that model, but they're wrong. just like they're wrong with saying the current macbook max is 4gb, when it's really 8gb.

more info
http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/apple/memory/Mini_Intel_Memory_Benchmarks

Studio Uno

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 23, 2010
4.0GB Upgrade Kit (2.0GB Modules x 2 Matched) for all Intel Core 2 Duo Mac mini models
Same Day

$112.99
4.0GB Upgrade Kit (2.0GB Modules x 2 Matched) CAS 4 Low-Latency for all Intel Core 2 Duo Mac mini models
Same Day

$119.99

What's the difference? Also I heard matched pairs work better, is this true?

Studio Uno

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 23, 2010
It didn't, I'm sorry.

If you're going to pay over $100 on RAM for a Mac Mini then...

you're beyond help.....

I guess it might be to you, these posts made by you though were unnecessary.

I also might get a iMac later on so i could just take memory from the mini and put it in the iMac

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
4.0GB Upgrade Kit (2.0GB Modules x 2 Matched) for all Intel Core 2 Duo Mac mini models
Same Day

$112.99
4.0GB Upgrade Kit (2.0GB Modules x 2 Matched) CAS 4 Low-Latency for all Intel Core 2 Duo Mac mini models
Same Day

$119.99

What's the difference? Also I heard matched pairs work better, is this true?

It has lower latency, the cheaper one has CAS 5 while it has CAS 4, don't know does it matter in real life though but it's only 7$ more

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.