Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macfanboy69

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 10, 2010
Hi all, just thought this story could be valuable to somebody else.

One of my close relative was having the following problem with his mac mini autumn 2008 version: the display turned yellow on an intermittent basis. Sometimes a few days without problem and then boom it occurred, other times it was only after a few hours of use. He then went and bought a new Dell LCD monitor thinking his old one was defective. Horror soon followed when he saw the problem reappearing on his brand new monitor. He made a visit to Apple store and the "Geniuses" were clueless. After performing a few diagnostics and not finding anything they told him that replacing the graphic card only was not possible (on-board Intel GMA) and that repair parts (the entire motherboard) would cost over $500 not even counting the labor.

I took the mini home and connected it to my Viewsonic LCD. I was never able to reproduce the problem either even after 3 days of tests and web browsing use. After a quick investigation I realized he was connecting his mini to his monitor using a VGA cable and the VGA-to-DVI adapter. I then returned the mini to him and suggested to switch for a proper DVI cable and since then the problem never reappeared. I concluded the problem was either the adapter or the analog-to-digital video converter in the mac mini GPU. Any comment from a computer technician here ?

cheers

ah, also before you flame me, mac mini is still a great machine :)

/Sam

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.