Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scottsdomain

macrumors member
Original poster
May 30, 2008
I have a late 2009 Mac Mini (Macmini3,1) with 2.53GHz processor and 4Gig of memory. I am running Snow Leopard. I purchased in January 2010. I have 4-6 external HDs connected to the machine while in normal running state. Two for Video, 2 for backup, and then plugin and remove others as necessary.

Is there a limit to the number of external HDs I can connect, other then the number of USB ports? (I seriously doubt there could be any issue with having multiple external HDs, but...)

I that were the case how would this have any impact on the internal HD?

The reason I ask is when I tried to update the latest OS software it failed, and the last support person told me that it was not designed to have multiple external HDs connected. I have been working with tech support for the last few days, and currently my system just crashes every time I install the OS. (I tried a disk image, and now from install disk same thing)

I believe it to be a HD failure, but how do I convince apple? When I call they just setup me up to reload the OS it says 20-50min, so they say call back if you have an issue. I am waiting on my 3rd call with them. Any advise for this call would be helpful.

Side note: I have an external drive with OS X snow leopard installed and have booted that just fine and everything "just works" (including the latest update)!

Sorry to ramble, but mildly annoyed with tech support at the moment!

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Your internal HD has just failed, the externals don't have affect on it. All drives will die eventually.

Seeing that your Mini has 5 USB ports and FW800, you can theoretically hook up to 635 HDs via USB (each port supports up to 127 devices) and 63 HDs via FireWire 800 so that would give you a total of 698 HDs, plus you can replace your SuperDrive with a hard drive to hit 700 HDs in total :D I think 1398TB is enough for you :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.