Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DaveTheGrey

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 28, 2003
I compared the us and the german prices for apple products and found this drift:
Any thoughts?

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• MacMini.jpg
    MacMini.jpg
    286.4 KB · Views: 420
  • graph.png
    graph.png
    23.3 KB · Views: 205

clickgr

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2009
Germany
In your comparison I guess you assume that the exchange rate US$ to Euro is 1. In fact Macmini is more than 15,7% more expensive in Europe.

Jawnathin

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2009
My thoughts? It's expensive.

Buy it if you think its worth it, don't buy it if you don't.

Simply, there's nothing else you can really do about it.

VideoFreek

Contributor
May 12, 2007
Philly
The prices on the new Mac Mini here in Germany are shockingly high. Factoring in 19% VAT (MwSt) and considering today's exchange rate (1.23 USD/EUR), the USD 699.- price would correspond to EUR 676.-; in reality the new Mini is priced nearly 20% higher than this! To be fair, there has always been a premium in Apple's European pricing above what could be explained by exchange rates and VAT, but the "extra mark-up" on the mini is disturbingly high.

Another example: the mini server version remained at USD 999.- in the US store, but here in Germany the price has leapt from EUR 949.- for the older version to EUR 1,149.- for the new version, a >20% increase!! Again, EUR 967.- would be the "parity" price considering only VAT and exchange rate. I hope this is not a sign of things to come for Apple's European pricing; I shudder to think what the next iMac refresh will bring.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Went up in here too. 799€ for Mini and 1149€ for server. VERY unfair! I've been following Apple's pricing lately and the prices have just gone up in here. Prev gen MacBook was 899€, now it's 999€. Everything it has is a better GPU and minimally better battery. REALLY annoying :mad:

P.S. We have 23% VAT here

DaveTheGrey

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 28, 2003
In your comparison I guess you assume that the exchange rate US$ to Euro is 1

nope, I don't assume anything, neither exchange rate nor vat. In my example that doesn't matter because it's calculated in all the products. but when you compare the rates of all the other models (-8% to +1.6%) the mini with its +15.7% is remarkable!

stefimke

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2010
In The Netherlands it's priced 799 euro's. A couple of euros less then in Germany, but still insane.

They wont sell 600.000 Mini's in the first days after release over here, that's for sure.

I always had the impression that the Mini was Apple's way of enabling people on a budget to go for a Mac... but it seems I was quite wrong.

soph

macrumors regular
May 3, 2010
In The Netherlands it's priced 799 euro's. A couple of euros less then in Germany, but still insane.
799 EUR in Austria, too. And we have 20% VAT instead of 19%. What's with Germany and the Mac Mini price?

C

champ01

specs vs specs:

IMac 21inch:
Price: €1.099,- (http://www.apple.nl)
Monitor: Built-in 21.5-inch LED-backlit (1920x1080)
CPU: 3.06GHz C2D
Ram: 4GB
HD: 500GB
Graphics: 9400M
Apple Keyboard
Apple Magic Mouse

New Mini:
Price: €1.252,- (http://www.apple.nl)
Monitor: ..... (no monitor included)
CPU: 2.66GHz C2D (lower CPU)
RAM: 4GB
HD: 500GB
Graphics: 320M (better)
Apple Keyboard
Apple Magic Mouse

A normal good 22inch monitor (one like the IMac 21inch) is around €250,-
If costumers wanna keep all products from Apple the 24inch Apple Cinema Display is €849,-

The Mini with lowest specs before the new update was priced at €549,-
Now after the update the cheapest Mini is priced at €799,-
The Mini is now priced 45% higher then previous model making the price go up with 250,- euro's!

And don't even get me started on the price difference between the US en most of Europe stores.
They were the same but now its €115,- more (with us tax included)

I love the new Mini but the way its priced isn't clear to me.

DaveTheGrey

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 28, 2003

kirreip said:
Ouch, that's even more expensive than the swiss prices... One reason seems to be your high VAT (MwSt).

It has nothing to do with the VAT! All the € listed Apple products includes the VAT Not only the Mini!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.