Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

T4R06

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 8, 2007
CT
hello there! i just got my late 2009 yesterday (base model - 2.26GHz)

i am wondering if how hard to open the case? i cant find one. and where can i find, the best bang for buck 4GB ram online?

thanks!

ahankinson

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2010
Not necessarily

There is some question about opening the case and voiding the warranty. It's generally accepted that it won't void your warranty unless you break something, or your modifications break something. (e.g. overclocking)

ed-hawco

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2009
Montreal, QC
For what it's worth, I bought my RAM (2x2GB) from OWC, and followed their guide for installing it, and it was pretty easy and worked brilliantly.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
There is some question about opening the case and voiding the warranty. It's generally accepted that it won't void your warranty unless you break something, or your modifications break something. (e.g. overclocking)

Your Mac mini doesn’t have any user-serviceable parts. Do not attempt to open your Mac mini. If your Mac mini needs service, consult the service and support information that came with your computer for instructions about how to contact an Apple Authorized Service Provider or Apple for service.
If you open your Mac mini or install items, you risk damaging your equipment, and such damage isn’t covered by the limited warranty on your Mac mini.

From http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/Mac_mini_Late2009_UG.pdf

That pretty clearly says that it'll void it, or at least give Apple an excuse to refuse to fix it

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
I used a pizza cutter to open up mine. No square or sharp corners that could put scratches on the case while opening it up. Just be careful with the airport and bluetooth antennas.

It tells you to avoid attempting to opening it up but it doesn't say the act will void your warranty.

If you open your Mac mini or install items, you risk damaging your equipment, and such damage isn’t covered by the limited warranty on your Mac mini.

Now if you do open it up and damage something then your warranty could be VOID. It's all up to the service tech to decide that. I don't ever recall seeing one post anywhere with the subject "I opened my Mac Mini and voided my warranty".

macchiato2009

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2009

i recently experienced this situation

opening the mini voids the warranty

so when you order a mini, you'd better order a CTO with ram upgrade rather than ordering a normal mini and buy ram by yourself just to save $10 or $20...

the mac mini is not user serviceable,

only a certified tech can open the box

any mark on the mini will need to be justified for apple to accept a replacement under warranty

you can even damage something without noticing it
you need to "break" something to damage the mini

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
I used a pizza cutter to open up mine. No square or sharp corners that could put scratches on the case while opening it up. Just be careful with the airport and bluetooth antennas.

It tells you to avoid attempting to opening it up but it doesn't say the act will void your warranty.

Now if you do open it up and damage something then your warranty could be VOID. It's all up to the service tech to decide that. I don't ever recall seeing one post anywhere with the subject "I opened my Mac Mini and voided my warranty".

If you open the case, the warranty is basically voided. Apple can refuse to fix it as they clearly say that Mini has ZERO USER-SERVICEABLE PARTS, so even if you didn't break anything and then later on an issue pops up, Apple has a legal reason to refuse to fix it.

It's playing with fire. Hugely depend on the rep as some people have gotten their Minis repaired under AppleCare even if the had opened the case but on the other hand, reps have also refused to fix it as they case had been opened, even when the issue had nothing to do with it.

From the shoes of law, it voids warranty as it's very hard to prove that opening it didn't break anything

calderone

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2009
From http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/Mac_mini_Late2009_UG.pdf

That pretty clearly says that it'll void it, or at least give Apple an excuse to refuse to fix it

It does not say it will void it. It says if you do any damage, that damage is not covered.

If Appld can't tell that you opened it, they cannot void the warranty. I have never been denied service on any of many Minis. All of which have been upgraded in some way.

And it is not hard to prove that opening it didn't break anything. In fact, the burden of proof is on Apple, not the consumer. If Apple can't prove that it was damaged while being upgraded then they can not void the warranty.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
It does not say it will void it. It says if you do any damage, that damage is not covered.

If Appld can't tell that you opened it, they cannot void the warranty. I have never been denied service on any of many Minis. All of which have been upgraded in some way.

And it is not hard to prove that opening it didn't break anything. In fact, the burden of proof is on Apple, not the consumer. If Apple can't prove that it was damaged while being upgraded then they can not void the warranty.

Yeah but it gives Apple a reason to refuse to fix it. It's not easy to fight against Apple. It depends on rep but with bad luck, you can't get it fixed.

I'm just warning, as it's pretty much playing with fire

Bubba22

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2008
Ottawa
A little off the original topic, but I was wondering if Apple does decide to not cover something for this very reason, do they actually make a note somewhere that will blacklist your serial number?

If not couldn't you just try say another Apple store or an authorized service provider until you find somebody who doesn't care?

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
A little off the original topic, but I was wondering if Apple does decide to not cover something for this very reason, do they actually make a note somewhere that will blacklist your serial number?

If not couldn't you just try say another Apple store or an authorized service provider until you find somebody who doesn't care?

You can try it in other stores, but that doesn't guarantee a repair.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.