Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

redhatcode29

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 21, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
Hi again, as per title

- ran the Catlina patcher
- progress was good,
- went past initial Apple logo (white screen)
- went pass initial apple logo (black screen)
- reached Catalina installer
- formatted the HDD in the mini with APFS
- Catalina installer success
- second Apple logo (white screen) progress bar smooth
- second Apple Logo (black screen) progress bar stuck after 1 minute remaining
- progress bar does not go pass ‘calculating remaining time’

The Mini however only has 2Gb of ram, could this be an issue ?

Watched this Installing macOS Catalina on an Unsupported Mac (dosdude1 Patcher) , i think i am am one step ahead from him. Any ideas why the installer won’t complete ? (if 2gb rams was not an issue) El Capitan installs fine (tried after the Catalina failure).

EDIT:
Update - planted an hdd with preinstalled Catalina from a Mac Pro, still the same 2gb of ram. Booted into Catalina, but it was extremely sluggish. Must have been the 2gb rams and the old hdd. However, i had ran the legacy ethernet patch into the hdd while it was in the Mac Pro, it resulted in the Mini recognizing the ethernet connection.

EDIT:
Update- slotted in 4gb of rams, planted an ssd which already had Catalina from the Mac Pro, ran the update patch again, this time, while the Ssd was in the Mini. Both wifi and ethernet worked. But now the issue was no audio- could not unmute in system preferences. Initially no chime as well, but after PRAM reset the chime appreared. Still no audio.

Last edited:

redhatcode29

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 21, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
Successfully installed the Catalina patch into this Mini. Insufficient ram and a bad hdd are ruled out as the culprits. Put in a ssd and 4gbs of ram, the install went through, though not smooth. But everything works. I did not suspect that the hdd was bad because El Capitan installed fine, again and again. Lesson learnt.

Screen Shot 2021-02-02 at 6.01.23 PM.png

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.