Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johjames912

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 19, 2019
Hi, I have a Mac Mini (late 2012) which I use as a media centre. When linked directly with a premium HDMI to my OLED TV which then connects via HDMI ARC to a Sony STRDN-1080 receiver the surround sound from files played on the Mac Mini works perfectly. Unfortunately when I connect the Mac Mini directly to the receiver, then the files only play in stereo an the receiver isn't detected by the Mac Mini when I look in System Preferences Audio. Using Audio Midi, the speakers all work when tested. Any ideas what I need to do to get the Mac Mini to recognise the receiver and to allow the receiver to play the files when connected to it directly please? Thanks.

sdp77

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2019
Hi, I have a Mac Mini (late 2012) which I use as a media centre. When linked directly with a premium HDMI to my OLED TV which then connects via HDMI ARC to a Sony STRDN-1080 receiver the surround sound from files played on the Mac Mini works perfectly. Unfortunately when I connect the Mac Mini directly to the receiver, then the files only play in stereo an the receiver isn't detected by the Mac Mini when I look in System Preferences Audio. Using Audio Midi, the speakers all work when tested. Any ideas what I need to do to get the Mac Mini to recognise the receiver and to allow the receiver to play the files when connected to it directly please? Thanks.
I have the same issue. I have my Mac mini connected to a Marantz receiver and, ever since I installed Catalina, the files only play stereo whereas, before Catalina, the receiver would show Multi In + Surround. I am hoping for a software update to bring back surround playback to the HDMI connection.
if you find a solution, please post it.
Btw, until yesterday I used a 2012 Mac mini as well. Yesterday I replaced it with a brand new Mac mini. Sound playback the same.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.