Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

darkmavis1980

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 14, 2015
Dublin, Ireland
Hi everybody, I read that my mac mini could potentially run the screen I want to buy, but not sure if I need a thunderbolt cable, or I can just use the mini-displayport to displayport I currently use on my Asus 27" (which runs at 2560x1440).
Because if the thunderbolt is not required, I could simply opt for the previous lg model, which is essentially the same of the new one but with no thunderbolt port

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Hi everybody, I read that my mac mini could potentially run the screen I want to buy, but not sure if I need a thunderbolt cable, or I can just use the mini-displayport to displayport I currently use on my Asus 27" (which runs at 2560x1440).
Because if the thunderbolt is not required, I could simply opt for the previous lg model, which is essentially the same of the new one but with no thunderbolt port
The 2012 Mini won't be able to drive that display at its full resolution, regardless of connection type.

treekram

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2015
Honolulu HI
As for your original question about the cable, the monitor supports both Thunderbolt 2 and DisplayPort so you should be able to use your DisplayPort cable. If you want to use the USB 3 port on the monitor, you'd need a Thunderbolt cable. However, since the 2012 Mini is Thunderbolt 1, there may not be enough bandwidth to run 3440x1440 and USB 3 at top speed.

There are posts on the Internet that say 3440x1440 works up to at least 50hz on the 2012 Mini.

darkmavis1980

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 14, 2015
Dublin, Ireland
My 2012 i7 Mini drives my Dell U3415W at 3440x1440@50Hz through mini DP.
So no need to have a specific Thunderbolt cable right?
Good to know and thank you :)
[doublepost=1490347707][/doublepost]
As for your original question about the cable, the monitor supports both Thunderbolt 2 and DisplayPort so you should be able to use your DisplayPort cable. If you want to use the USB 3 port on the monitor, you'd need a Thunderbolt cable. However, since the 2012 Mini is Thunderbolt 1, there may not be enough bandwidth to run 3440x1440 and USB 3 at top speed.

There are posts on the Internet that say 3440x1440 works up to at least 50hz on the 2012 Mini.
No not really interested in having the USB 3 port to work on the monitor, I just need the monitor to work, but thank you for the answer

Yankee512

Suspended
Apr 29, 2017
Can anyone tell me what cable I need to go from the Mac Mini 2012 to my Dell 34" Ultrawide curved monitor? I can't seem to find a mini-dp or thunderbolt cable to mini-dp for the monitor. I have my regular displayport connected to a gaming system and want to keep it separate.

treekram

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2015
Honolulu HI
Can anyone tell me what cable I need to go from the Mac Mini 2012 to my Dell 34" Ultrawide curved monitor? I can't seem to find a mini-dp or thunderbolt cable to mini-dp for the monitor. I have my regular displayport connected to a gaming system and want to keep it separate.

If you have the LG 34UC98-W, from the Tech Specs on their website, you can use either a Thunderbolt 2 cable, something like the following:
https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MD861LL/A/apple-thunderbolt-cable-20-m

or you can use a Mini-Displayport to Displayport cable. I''m not sure why you're having difficulty finding such a cable. (A length issue, perhaps?)

I don't know your last sentence means. If you already have your other monitor connected to the 2012 Mini using the Mini-Displayport port, there is only one Mini-Displayport/Thunderbolt port on the 2012 Mini.

Yankee512

Suspended
Apr 29, 2017
If you have the LG 34UC98-W, from the Tech Specs on their website, you can use either a Thunderbolt 2 cable, something like the following:
https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MD861LL/A/apple-thunderbolt-cable-20-m

or you can use a Mini-Displayport to Displayport cable. I''m not sure why you're having difficulty finding such a cable. (A length issue, perhaps?)

I don't know your last sentence means. If you already have your other monitor connected to the 2012 Mini using the Mini-Displayport port, there is only one Mini-Displayport/Thunderbolt port on the 2012 Mini.

I have a Windows PC, that has a displayport cable from it's video card going into the displayport on my 34" Ultrawide curved Dell Monitor. The monitor has HDMI and a mini-displayport still left and HDMI on the Mini doesn't support that resolution. So the mini-displayport would need to be used.

This allows me to switch inputs depending if I want the Gaming system or the MAC.

So MDP to MDP. Male to Male.

I found this cable which I believe would work.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004CAGDSW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

darkmavis1980

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 14, 2015
Dublin, Ireland

treekram

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2015
Honolulu HI
I have a Windows PC, that has a displayport cable from it's video card going into the displayport on my 34" Ultrawide curved Dell Monitor. The monitor has HDMI and a mini-displayport still left and HDMI on the Mini doesn't support that resolution. So the mini-displayport would need to be used.

This allows me to switch inputs depending if I want the Gaming system or the MAC.

So MDP to MDP. Male to Male.

I found this cable which I believe would work.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004CAGDSW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I don't have the 34UC98, but my reading of the specs says that there is one DisplayPort port and 2 Thunderbolt2 ports. Thunderbolt 1/2 uses the Mini-Displayport connector so while a MiniDP-MiniDP cable will fit, the specs say that it won't work. I've seen reviews to that effect on Amazon. You would need the Thunderbolt cable as I mentioned in my other post. You should probably do some research because according to at least one person, they couldn't use the DisplayPort and Thunderbolt connectors and use Picture-by-Picture or Dual Controller software.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ultrawidem...on_lg_34uc98_with_pc_and_mac/#bottom-comments

Yankee512

Suspended
Apr 29, 2017
No, that cable works, even because I'm using the same to connect my mac mini to my monitor.
The hdmi port doesn't have the bandwidth for that resolution, but the display port does, even if it's only 50hz

I guess you didn't read what I said above. That cable does not work for what I need. I am utilizing the regular display port for my 1080gtx card in my gaming rig. The Mini will use the mini-display port.
[doublepost=1494975348][/doublepost]
I don't have the 34UC98, but my reading of the specs says that there is one DisplayPort port and 2 Thunderbolt2 ports. Thunderbolt 1/2 uses the Mini-Displayport connector so while a MiniDP-MiniDP cable will fit, the specs say that it won't work. I've seen reviews to that effect on Amazon. You would need the Thunderbolt cable as I mentioned in my other post. You should probably do some research because according to at least one person, they couldn't use the DisplayPort and Thunderbolt connectors and use Picture-by-Picture or Dual Controller software.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ultrawidem...on_lg_34uc98_with_pc_and_mac/#bottom-comments

does everyone not read the full post? I don't own an LG. I own a Dell 34" Ultrawide curved monitor that has a min-display port input. This is the only topic that discusses using the resolution and reason I asked.

treekram

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2015
Honolulu HI
My bad. I missed the Dell part. But I'm not sure why you posted on this thread, which deals with the LC 34UC98 instead of starting a new thread with the specific Dell model you have.

Celerondon

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2013
Southern Cal
The OP hit paydirt by post #9 and Mr. Pinstripes hijacked the thread on post #10. But that did not throw me. However, two things about the question did confuse me.
  1. Which Dell 34" monitor does Yankee512 have? (Dell has made several!)
  2. Why was there an inability to "find" a mDP to mDP cable? (Because Amazon!)
Here are the port complements for two recent Dell 34" monitors. Is your Dell either of these? Any quality mDP to mDP (male/male) cable should work. The part that you found seems fine.

Dell UltraSharp 34 Curved Ultrawide Monitor - U3415W

Ports and Slots:

Power connector

MHL

HDMI

DisplayPort in

Mini DisplayPort in

DisplayPort out

Audio line out

USB upstream

USB downstream

Stand lock​

Dell U3417W FR3PK 34-Inch Screen Led-Lit Monitor

1 DP 1.2 (HDCP 1.4)

1 mDP 1.2 (HDCP 1.4)

1 DP 1.2 (out) with MST (HDCP 1.4)

2 HDMI 2.0 (HDCP 1.4)

4 USB 3.0 downstream port (2 x BC1.2 charging capabilities at 2A (max))

2 USB 3.0 upstream port

Yankee512

Suspended
Apr 29, 2017
The OP hit paydirt by post #9 and Mr. Pinstripes hijacked the thread on post #10. But that did not throw me. However, two things about the question did confuse me.
  1. Which Dell 34" monitor does Yankee512 have? (Dell has made several!)
  2. Why was there an inability to "find" a mDP to mDP cable? (Because Amazon!)
Here are the port complements for two recent Dell 34" monitors. Is your Dell either of these? Any quality mDP to mDP (male/male) cable should work. The part that you found seems fine.

Dell UltraSharp 34 Curved Ultrawide Monitor - U3415W

Ports and Slots:

Power connector

MHL

HDMI

DisplayPort in

Mini DisplayPort in

DisplayPort out

Audio line out

USB upstream

USB downstream

Stand lock​

Dell U3417W FR3PK 34-Inch Screen Led-Lit Monitor

1 DP 1.2 (HDCP 1.4)

1 mDP 1.2 (HDCP 1.4)

1 DP 1.2 (out) with MST (HDCP 1.4)

2 HDMI 2.0 (HDCP 1.4)

4 USB 3.0 downstream port (2 x BC1.2 charging capabilities at 2A (max))

2 USB 3.0 upstream port

Thank you. Mine is the U3415W. For some reason when I was originally searching I couldn't find that cable and it might have been because I was searching for Thunderbolt to mini-dp. So, it looks like it will work then. Thanks for the info.

Reactions: Celerondon

Celerondon

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2013
Southern Cal
You are welcome!

But now -I- have a question. What is that Dell U3415W like to use? I have the U2515H and it is a fine display. From the specifications it seems as if your screen might be a curved twin version of my Ultrasharp monitor. Is that simply a 34" version of my 1440 display?

darkmavis1980

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 14, 2015
Dublin, Ireland
You are welcome!

But now -I- have a question. What is that Dell U3415W like to use? I have the U2515H and it is a fine display. From the specifications it seems as if your screen might be a curved twin version of my Ultrasharp monitor. Is that simply a 34" version of my 1440 display?

Well, you have much more space on the sides, which it comes handy for software like photoshop/lightroom, or if you are a developer and you need multiple things to see at the same time

Yankee512

Suspended
Apr 29, 2017
You are welcome!

I would say it's just a curved like you said of the 1440 display. It is very nice and feels the same distance at the edges. I had the LG 34 before and because it wasn't curved it felt like I was far away from the edges. It's much wider though, as it feels like two 24" monitors in one.

pogacsa

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2018
Hi,

not yet confident as my Mac mini i7 2.3 late 2012 will able to work with ultra wide screen. This is a macmini6.2 by Apple / About. Model number is A1347 by MacTracker: Mac mini (late 2012). Intel does not have any page showing HD4000 capabilities such as supported resolution with frequency settings. This Mac mini all over the internet is told up to 2560x1600. I do no need graphical performance, only a wider screen to see more code, and terminal windows. Only this forum thread is confirming ultra wide monitors will work.
Can anyone please confirm (before I order from Amazon) a Dell U3417W 21:9 monitor will work with native 3440 by 1440 resolution at @50Hz over a mini-displayPort to displayPort cable? (or do I need any specific thunderbolt (v1) to DP?)

thanks a lot

Celerondon

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2013
Southern Cal
Hi,

not yet confident as my Mac mini i7 2.3 late 2012 will able to work with ultra wide screen. This is a macmini6.2 by Apple / About. Model number is A1347 by MacTracker: Mac mini (late 2012). Intel does not have any page showing HD4000 capabilities such as supported resolution with frequency settings. This Mac mini all over the internet is told up to 2560x1600. I do no need graphical performance, only a wider screen to see more code, and terminal windows. Only this forum thread is confirming ultra wide monitors will work.
Can anyone please confirm (before I order from Amazon) a Dell U3417W 21:9 monitor will work with native 3440 by 1440 resolution at @50Hz over a mini-displayPort to displayPort cable? (or do I need any specific thunderbolt (v1) to DP?)

thanks a lot

You should be fine with mDP-mDP or mDP-DP cabling. I don’t have that display but you can message the (ultra wide screen) posters in this thread to confirm.

Go for it! :D

(And please let us know how things work out for you.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.