Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dennis campbell

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 23, 2012
am looking to the community for feed back on the pit falls of the base m2 mac mini: how many repairs under warranty, length of service, possible upgrades etc. an overview of dependability. the nearest store is a 10 hr. trip any insights are appreciated

Reactions: AlexHostOfficial

yadmonkey

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2002
Western Spiral
I'll comment on my own experience with Mac Minis. I've deployed dozens of them over the years and would rank them amongst the most dependable Macs I've worked with. I have one next to me right now that's been running continuously since 2013, currently serving up sound samples for my digital piano.

TechRunner

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2016
SW Florida, US
I have a base model M1 Mini starting its fourth year of service, and it has been flawless. My uses are quite basic (internet, writing/blogging, light photo editing, videos, etc.) and it performs perfectly. I restart/shut it down about once every quarter, otherwise it is always powered up and ready to go. Highly recommend the AS Minis.

Ctrlos

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2022
I'll comment on my own experience with Mac Minis. I've deployed dozens of them over the years and would rank them amongst the most dependable Macs I've worked with. I have one next to me right now that's been running continuously since 2013, currently serving up sound samples for my digital piano.
I'll second this. I have a 2011 model still in regular use. Any Mac should last at least a decade in my experience.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
am looking to the community for feed back on the pit falls of the base m2 mac mini: how many repairs under warranty, length of service, possible upgrades etc. an overview of dependability. the nearest store is a 10 hr. trip any insights are appreciated
I bought a base M2 Mac Mini in March of this year (2023). It is my primary computer in my home office. I use it heavily for remote work as well as personal productivity, audio and video processing, virtual machines, and a lot more. I have, and continue to, push it hard and it has been 100% reliable.

The only hiccup is the very rare occasion of when the system wakes up but the video out doesn't. The monitor displays "static". That has only happened 3 or 4 times over 9 months and is resolved by detaching and reattaching the hdmi cable.

I bought the Satechi hub/base for it and love the front-facing ports... very convenient. If you end up getting an M2 Mac Mini, I highly recommend getting a hub.

Reactions: 840quadra

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
if I did not pluck the fan connector on the logic board off, my MacMini 2012 last year
that would still be working fine!
the logic board was getting old as the MacBook Air 2010 as things plop off easlily.

hopefully I can keep the cover on both my M1s and be happy!

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I believe the Mini has proven to be the most reliable of all Macs over time.
Not much more to say about that.

"Possible upgrades"??
NOT possible.
RAM and the SSD are soldered in and "unchange-able".

So... buy "what you need, for now, and for the future, up front".

If you really want a long-term Mini, I would recommend NOTHING LESS than an m2pro model, either with 16 or 32GB of RAM, at least a 1tb SSD.

Reactions: Chuckeee

picpicmac

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2023
I bought the Satechi hub/base for it and love the front-facing ports... very convenient.
Can you comment on the various negative reviews the Satechi gets, such as on Amazon? Common complaint seems to be that the internal SSD disconnects, or one of the USB ports disconnects.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Up to 7 years before "vintaging" + approx. 2 more for security updates. Beyond that- even if it is still fully functional hardware- assume you have to buy a replacement. There are hacks to squeeze more upgrade life out of them but then you are trusting third parties at the OS level. :eek:

Base Mini with only 8GB of RAM will likely use a lot of SWAP (using SSD like it is spare RAM) and none of us can absolutely know if SWAP will eventually wear out that SSD sooner than 7 years. 10 or 20 fans will chime in on this assuring everyone else that there is nothing to worry about in SWAP but everything objectively written about SSDs talks about "limiting number of writes" to preserve SSD life, so process fan assurances accordingly.

Those who will make such assurances won't be there in- say- 5 years if the SWAP issue actually starts panning out like the Apple Fusion drives... where the SSD portion wears out from- you guessed it- too many writes and thus demands that the drive is replaced or retired. A positive about Fusion is that you could replace only the drive and then carry on with those Macs. Silicon has no such option: when any part conks, you buy a new computer.

The point: since NONE of us can actually know for at least a few more years with any real confidence about Silicon SWAP, the safe play is NOT buying base specs but at least paying the (relative) ripoff price for additional Apple RAM. If this option, you mostly take "too frequent SWAP" risk off the table.

Else, you can gamble and hope for the best. There will certainly be many who argue it's no gamble at all... but they don't know and are not extending any warranty against SSD drive failure years from now. I bet if we did a bunch of research, former Mac buyers worried about too many writes to the SSD portion of Fusion who posted their concern were likely similarly reassured by fans that there was nothing to worry about there too... that the genius of how the OS would manage the SSD portion would focus it mostly on READS so it can last for life of that Mac. See "my fusion drive is dead/dying" threads galore all over the web and think carefully about your new Mac purchase.

If me, I find the cash to buy the extra RAM and reduce that risk (and grumble to myself about the price of Apple RAM vs. PC RAM). If it ends up that SWAP worry is misplaced, more RAM will simply mean a faster Mac than leaning on SWAP to accomplish the same computing.

Last edited:

Larsen2k4

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2015
Hamburg, Germany
My 2012 Mac mini still does its daily job as TV/Streaming/Server machine hooked onto the living room tv :)
Thanks to OpenCore Legacy Patcher it's running fine with macOS Sonoma. Totally reliable machine for more than 10 years now!

Allen_Wentz

macrumors 68030
Dec 3, 2016
USA
The pitfall is you said base M2 Mac Mini, which means inappropriately low RAM. 8 GB RAM is a very poor choice for all but the long term lowest end users. Choose plenty of RAM if you intend a smoothly operating problem free Mac.

The other potential issue is if you are buying a Mini to do a Studio's job you should expect negative consequences of overheating. OTOH if you are buying a Mini to do a Mini's job you should expect no problems as long as RAM is adequate to minimize paging to disk.

Last edited:

Brian33

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
USA (Virginia)
if I did not pluck the fan connector on the logic board off, my MacMini 2012 last year
that would still be working fine!
Ouch, that's a shame. I recently replaced the thermal paste and logic board battery in my Late 2012 Mac Mini. I guess I got luckier than you. It's still going great: over eleven years old, and most of that time it's been running 24/7 as my file/plex/itunes/printer/voice chat/minecraft server.

I try to use my machines as long as possible, and of the four Macs I've had released 2008-2015, the 2012 Mini is the only one that's had no problems whatsoever. (Two others eventually had serious graphics issues, and my 2015 iMac is still great except for an annoying pinkish glow around the screen edges.)

Reactions: MBAir2010

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Can you comment on the various negative reviews the Satechi gets, such as on Amazon? Common complaint seems to be that the internal SSD disconnects, or one of the USB ports disconnects.
I have experienced the occasional SSD disconnect. Perhaps once a month, but my system has been on continuously since I bought it back in March. Anyone who powers down nightly or weekly probably wouldn’t experience that.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
Can you comment on the various negative reviews the Satechi gets, such as on Amazon?
a negative review on Amazon considering a Satechi product means they make great products!
personally, every one of 10 products I purchased are incredible and elegant.

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
Do Macs ever die, vs. becoming obsolete? I think every one I've had was still working when I retired it, except for one laptop that got a coffee bath.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
Do Macs ever die, vs. becoming obsolete? I think every one I've had was still working when I retired it, except for one laptop that got a coffee bath.
my powerbook g4 could not be revived in 2010 due to software installing problems due to a faulty logic board.

I did ship 3 products back to :apple: recycling were the mini did not work, turn on.
the other two were an :apple: TV gen 3 and a topless MacBook Air 2011.

AlixSPQR

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2020
Sweden
There is no way today’s minis will last as long as my Late 2012. If a decade is what you want.

AlixSPQR

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2020
Sweden
I recently replaced the thermal paste and logic board battery in my Late 2012 Mac Mini. I guess I got luckier than you.
I did too. A small piece came off the logic board, but I’m yet to see how that impacts performance. I won’t do it again, though.

steve217

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2011
NC
The only hiccup is the very rare occasion of when the system wakes up but the video out doesn't. The monitor displays "static". That has only happened 3 or 4 times over 9 months and is resolved by detaching and reattaching the hdmi cable.
Next time that happens, try "Cmd-Ctrl-Q" and then escape to put the mini to sleep. Then hit the keyboard to wake it after a couple of seconds.

That's what I do. And the frequency when the monitor doesn't wake is definitely dropping.

Reactions: sracer

picpicmac

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2023
If me, I find the cash to buy the extra RAM and reduce that risk (and grumble to myself about the price of Apple RAM vs. PC RAM)
Which raises the question: what costs more money:
1) buy a new Mac Mini with expanded RAM for more $$$ in the hopes it will last 15 years;
2) buy a base Mac Mini and replace it every 7.5 years.

At Education Store prices, $180 per step upgrade, $499/$180 = 2.77 .

Thus if you buy a single Mac Mini with three upgrade steps in the hopes of lasting 15 years, they you've paid more than buying a base level machine today and then replacing it once during that same time.

This is all probably academic, though, as people's needs change. Sure, if you have a Mini which is working as a music server than maybe it will be not called to do anything else over 15 years.

But if you are using a Mini for work or general home use, then maybe one should just plan on replacing it every 7 years (home) or 5 years (depreciation window for a business.)

Reactions: derekww and frou

BanjoDudeAhoy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2020
I have a 2006 Mac mini here - one of the very early Intel ones. It runs just fine.

It could use a replacement DVD drive because the original one in it makes extremely scary noises and out of fear for the wellbeing of my discs I've taken to only using an external drive on it.
It also no longer has its original HDD installed but an SSD instead, and if I'm not mistaken the RAM has been upgraded as well.

I use it as a nostalgia machine, if you will. There's Snow Leopard on it and via BootCamp, it also runs Windows XP.

My other Mac mini is the M1 model with 16 GB of RAM which with my usage will very likely be around for years to come. The only thing I might get for that one is one of those docks with a slot for an SSD in them because a permanently attached external one looks inelegant.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.