Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mlibrescu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 30, 2008
California
I have a problem that I haven't seen addressed anywhere. I have a Mac Mini (not the latest generation, the one before). It's plugged into my router with the network cable. If I leave the Mac on overnight, about 75% of the time, it loses the network connection.

Sometime this happens during the day, but less frequently. When the Mac loses the connection, resetting the modem or router doesn't fix the problem. I've tried unplugging the Ethernet cable at both ends and plugging it in again. No dice. The Network control panel reports the Ethernet cable isn't plugged in. Renewing the DHCP lease doesn't work.

When this happens, the modem and router are still working. Other computers on the wireless network still have Internet connections. If I switch the Mac Mini over to Airport, it will connect to the network wirelessly. The only way to restore the Ethernet connection is by restarting the Mac.

If anyone has any ideas as to what is going on, I'd love to hear it. I has me mystified.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.