Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deanburchell

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 29, 2006
I have an M1 Mac Mini and a 4K monitor (Acer Predator XB3). For inputs the monitor has an HDMI port and a DisplayPort port. I can connect the Mac Mini successfully via HDMI -> HDMI but I have yet to find a cable (from either USB-C or HDMI) that will work with the DisplayPort port. A signal is never detected.

I need the HDMI port on the monitor for connection to a PlayStation 5.

I don't expect anyone to necessarily have the same monitor but perhaps someone has had cable issue and found something that worked? (I'm on my fourth cable from Amazon, yikes!)

coolguy4747

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2010
Which one(s) have you tried that didn't work? Do you have another monitor connected to the Mac Mini via USB-C? At least one of the reviews for this cable specifically mentions M1 Mac Mini saying it works, but if you already have another monitor connected via USB-C then it might not work.

deanburchell

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 29, 2006
Oh, interesting, so it's powered (I originally passed that one as it seemed kinda kludgy! and who wants two ports blocked!). I am only connecting one monitor. The other USB-C port is connected to an external drive.

I tried:

Cable Matters USB C to DisplayPort 1.4 Cable (USB-C to DisplayPort Cable, USB C to DP Cable) Supporting 8K 60Hz in Black 10 ft - Thunderbolt 4 /USB4 /

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XFG1YKT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and I tried this one with a mini-DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07V828R4Q/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_006F2PM6JZATP4RY3JH2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
I bought this one from Apple: Moshi USB-C to DisplayPort Cable. But Apple doesn’t seem to sell it any longer. You can do a search though and find it for about $60. It works on my LG 4K from my M1 MacBook Air.

deanburchell

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 29, 2006
I bought this one from Apple: Moshi USB-C to DisplayPort Cable. But Apple doesn’t seem to sell it any longer. You can do a search though and find it for about $60. It works on my LG 4K from my M1 MacBook Air.
Thanks. I’ll check it out.

deanburchell

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 29, 2006
For the record. the previously recommended 'Moshi USB-C to DisplayPort' cable (available at Amazon and elsewhere) worked for me! It's providing 4K at 120hz.

Reactions: jdb8167

UH8183

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2021
I use HDMI cable on the Mac Mini to a DVI adapter on the monitor without any problems. So it does work. Try another HDMI cable.

citivolus

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2008
I am using the same Cable Matters cable you linked above with my M1 Mac mini and 5K monitor it works great...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.