Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rsucre

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 1, 2007
My Mac mini M1 is having this issue randomly (some times). It suddenly loses its internal Wireless Adapter (seems like there is no wireless adapter present). The Mac mini M1 eventually crashes, then again (endless loop). If I enter into Hardware Diagnostics, it fails due to No Internet Connection.

I isolated the issue to a Sabrent USB 3.0 SATA HD Enclosure. If I turn off or disconnect that enclosure, the Mac mini M1 goes back to normal. Hardware Diagnostics report No Issues. Then I can turn the enclosure ON and all is great again for a week or so, then the issue randomly comes back.

I will try connecting the USB enclosure thru a usb-c hub to see if that "isolates" or prevents the issue.

Anyone having a similar problem? Any suggestions?

rsucre

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 1, 2007
The WiFi sits on the USB bus. It might be that the HD enclosure has a USB fault.
Interesting... Yes, then it seems that's what's going on. Now, I wonder if this would happen with an Intel Mac mini. Do you think that connecting the USB HD enclosure to the USB-C Hub (not directly to the Mac) may solve the issue? I'm trying that. Will see how it goes.

rsucre

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 1, 2007
You can wrap the USB enclosure cable in aluminium foil or get a ferrite bead.
The issue is not wireless interference. It is not that wifi is low or poor. The adapter is not present anymore when the issue happens.

geejay9876

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2018
USB interference is a well-known issue with wifi. Surely this interference also causes currents in the wifi adapter. Whether this causes the wifi adapter to crash needs to be practically tested by shielding the cable. Sure, it's a shot in the dark, but worth testing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.