Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OldCorpse

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 7, 2005
compost heap
I have a Mac Mini M2 8/256 running Sonoma 14.2. I bought a KYY monitor , connected it to the mini and it worked fine (HDMI on the MM to a mini-HDMI on the KYY).

I put away the monitor, and connected the Mac Mini on my home network with my 15" M2 MBA, and shared the MM screen on the MBA. A couple of days later - today - I wanted to work on the MM directly, so I connected the KYY monitor to the MM and... nothing. The KYY is black. At first I thought maybe the KYY died, but I connected it to my MBA (USC C to USB C), and the KYY worked fine. Just to double check, I had an extra HDMI to mini-HDMI cable and tried that one on the KYY to MM, but still the same - black. I restarted the MM with the KYY connected - nothing. I disconnected the MM from the MBA, and tried the KYY on the MM again - nothing; connecting/disconnecting the HDMI cable does nothing. I'm not sure what's going on.

There's probably some setting somewhere I'm missing - how can I get the MM to work with the KYY again?? TIA!

VegetarianNachos

macrumors member
Jan 20, 2022
Parts Unknown
I have a Mac Mini M2 8/256 running Sonoma 14.2. I bought a KYY monitor , connected it to the mini and it worked fine (HDMI on the MM to a mini-HDMI on the KYY).

I put away the monitor, and connected the Mac Mini on my home network with my 15" M2 MBA, and shared the MM screen on the MBA. A couple of days later - today - I wanted to work on the MM directly, so I connected the KYY monitor to the MM and... nothing. The KYY is black. At first I thought maybe the KYY died, but I connected it to my MBA (USC C to USB C), and the KYY worked fine. Just to double check, I had an extra HDMI to mini-HDMI cable and tried that one on the KYY to MM, but still the same - black. I restarted the MM with the KYY connected - nothing. I disconnected the MM from the MBA, and tried the KYY on the MM again - nothing; connecting/disconnecting the HDMI cable does nothing. I'm not sure what's going on.

There's probably some setting somewhere I'm missing - how can I get the MM to work with the KYY again?? TIA!
I have the same monitor. Do you have the monitor power adapter connected and powered? You don't need it when going from USB-C to USB-C, but you do when using Mini-HDMI.

OldCorpse

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 7, 2005
compost heap
I have the same monitor. Do you have the monitor power adapter connected and powered? You don't need it when going from USB-C to USB-C, but you do when using Mini-HDMI.
I am red faced and deeply embarrassed. Indeed I have not plugged in the power on the monitor. I am now off to eat a big bowl of crow. Incidentally, I plugged in the USB-C to USB-C and indeed it works. What can I say - I made an unforced error - simply forgot about the power.

Reactions: Nguyen Duc Hieu
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.