Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dochartaigh

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 3, 2023
2023 Mac Mini M2 Pro on Sonoma 14.1.2, hooked up via HDMI to Denon AVR-X3300W AVR (audio/video surround sound receiver).

My Mac Mini keeps defaulting to 2-Channel Stereo when it's hooked up to a 5.1 surround sound system:

Screenshot 2023-12-19 at 1.22.19 PM.png

I have NOT been back into this setting window to change it on my own of course (besides when I first got it to set it up properly so it was 5.1... which they call "6 ch" since there's 6x speakers including the subwoofer).

Any ideas how to make this permanent so it can NOT change itself like it's been doing? In the last couple weeks I've had to change it back THREE times when I noticed a movie wasn't giving me proper surround sound...

Have a feeling this might have something to do with it: sometimes when I'm turning the TV and Receiver on (Mac Mini is ALWAYS left on), if I left something playing on the computer, I'll hear sound coming out of the Mac Mini's built-in speaker until it notices it's connected to the now-powered-on receiver (then it'll automatically switch over to the receivers regular 5.1 speakers)... in that interim period it might switch itself to stereo since that's the lowest mode which the Mac Mini's speaker uses??? ...then NOT switch itself back to the 6 ch like it should be once it connects to the surround sound receiver???

**EDIT** I can replicate this every time now, when the Mac Mini is on, and TV and AVR is off, and I left any sort of audio playing the Mac Mini, when I turn the TV/Receiver back on since the AVR takes a while to fully turn on sound will play out of the Mac Mini's internal speaker for a second or two - when the ARV is fully on (and the sound is transferred to the ARV) it's STILL stuck in 2 Ch mode and doesn't switch back to my default 6 Ch surround-sound mode like it should...

I opened a case with Apple since I have AppleCare - even their senior people don't know what is causing it so they in turn opened a case with the engineers. 100:1 odds they tell me it's not them, it's my super-common equipment causing the issue and that the Mac is acting "as expected" (just like my last~ 3+ tickets with them which were also sent to the engineers with zero solution...).

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.