Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

duke77

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 1, 2023
Hi, I would like to get a desktop to complete my MBP14 base model as I already have monitor keyboard and mouse.
My question is should I go for the 32GB version for 1700€ (2000€ retail price) usuallyor base pro model for 1320€ both refurbished from my apple store in Berlin.

My workflow is normal usage plus coding with python, data analysis and some small ML projects for work.

I also have a mini PC with linux and 32gb of ram and in linux 32gb feels everything much more responsive than 16gb because linux kernel caches lot of stuff when there is enough RAM. I wonder if MacOS behaves similarly.

Thanks.

colinsky

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2009
I tried the Mini m2 Pro base to replace my m1 16/512 Mini, but I sent it back. It didn't seem like enough of an improvement. It was always running in high yellow in Memory Pressure and bogging down, just like the m1.
I got the m2 Pro 32/1TB version and it gives me the elbow room I was looking for.

Reactions: picpicmac
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.