Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deazed

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 15, 2024
I'm a graphic designer and am currently using a 2017 IMac iCore 5 27" . . . it has slowed down considerably and possibly looking to upgrade. Was looking at the Mac Mini Pro with M2 and wondering is this is a viable option. Budget is a concern.

Should I go with an IMac (now 24" only) or an M2 Mac Mini Pro?

Any feedback is good. Thanks!

Regulus67

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2023
Värmland, Sweden
Budget is a concern.

Should I go with an IMac (now 24" only) or an M2 Mac Mini Pro?
I would wait and see what Apple presents in the WWDC this June.
The iMac skipped one generation. The mac Mini Pro might get an M3, or M4. Who knows?
If so, the M2 version could have a refurbished version by then.
Apple could surprise us with an iMac Pro with a larger display as well 30"+. Albeit I would not bet on that.

edit: I see you just joined the forum. If you haven't already. You should have a look at other discussions that fits your use case and needs, in this forum.

Last edited:

frou

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2009
Get the iMac because you're already accustomed to a Retina-grade display.

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
I'd pick the Mac mini any day for cheaper upgrades, and the option of a bigger display. Especially for graphical work. That being said, you need to factor a display into your buying options.

Reactions: mr_jomo

Bazza1

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Mac Mini allows you the option to pick the size and style of monitor that best works for you. Unless you're going significantly high end, Mini plus monitor (+ keyboard + camera) is less than cost of iMac. Also, should something go wrong with device, you're only taking in / sending away a little 8 x 8 box, not something much bigger.

M2 Mini now over a year old (released in Jan 2023), so if they keep up with that release schedule, maybe a M4 come next year? That said, deals can often be found found online now for M2, and includes Apple's own Certified Refurb site. Products there all individually checked (so arguably, better than factory new), are eligible for AppleCare and shipped free.

(PS - If you go the Mini route, you may wish to have a wired keyboard and mouse to hand for initial setup - reports of mixed success with bluetooth devices being seen during setup, when you need to input info.)

Last edited:

pdxplm

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2006
Portland, OR
I agree with the majority and would go with the M2 Pro Mini, but make sure that you skip any SSD upgrade, but go with a memory upgrade. I got the Satechi base that I added an M.2 and SSD to supplement storage. This thing is great and I had the option of getting a larger screen than the iMac. I've been tempted to get an iMac, but still am very happy with the Mini. Another option would be to get the base Studio.

Reactions: Chuckeee

deazed

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 15, 2024
I'd pick the Mac mini any day for cheaper upgrades, and the option of a bigger display. Especially for graphical work. That being said, you need to factor a display into your buying options.
any good recommendations on a monitor that shows true blacks?

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
any good recommendations on a monitor that shows true blacks?
If you want true blacks, then you need OLED. Other than that, peoples requirements and preferences, and price of course, makes a recommendation really hard. And the fact that you can't get an OLED display over 4k resolution yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.