Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stradify

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 4, 2015
USA
Just ordered a Mac Mini M2 Pro and I'm wondering which OS it will have.
Anyone received one recently? Which OS was installed?

Jman13

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Columbus, OH
Depends on where you got it and when the stock was packaged. Mine that I got last week came with Ventura. I updated to Sonoma though.

Ben J.

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2019
Oslo
I'm expecting my mac mini M2 pro 32/512 in a couple of days, ordered at apple store, and of course, it comes from China and is assembled there. If it comes with Sonoma I'll just migrate my user from my current mini - if that doesn't work to my satisfaction, I have a so-called "Bootable USB installer" with Ventura 13.6 so I can downgrade. All these M2 minis are supposed to work with macOS 13.2 and up.

stradify

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 4, 2015
USA

I prefer it to ship with Ventura because I have a mission critical app that won't work with Sonoma. The developers working on an update but there's no telling how long it will be before it's ready. It's supposed to be ready 'in November'. I thought about downgrading the OS if it comes with Sonoma but I prefer to not have to do that on a new machine.

Reactions: dotzero123

Ben J.

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2019
Oslo
I thought about downgrading the OS if it comes with Sonoma but I prefer to not have to do that on a new machine.
Just so you know; there is nothing wrong with doing it, I've done it (on apple silicon and modern macOS versions) a couple of times without problems, and Apple is not in any way advising against it.

dono42

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2018
New Hampshire, USA
Mine came from Apple Certified Refurbished with Ventura and after a few annoyances like finder search not finding things I did a clean install of 13.6.1. Finder now working. I really wanted to down grade to Monterey but it's not supported.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.