Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kwoth

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 6, 2010
My new Mac mini arrived a few days ago. So far so good, connected with 2 USB-C to Displayport cables to 2 Dell U2415.
Both monitors were recognized correctly and run perfectly... unless I switch the source.

So that's the problem: If I switch one monitor from DP to mDP or HDMI (to my work laptop, gaming PC or old Mac mini), which always works without any problems, but then want to go back to the new Mac mini (meaning DP), the monitor no longer wakes up, but is still recognized/shown correctly in the settings (seen on the second Dell).

As a workaround, I can either disconnect the cable briefly and reconnect it, restart the Mac mini or switch the monitor off and on again briefly.

What is going on here? Why has not a single computer (whether Mac or PC) had this problem in recent years and the new, not quite cheap mini has problems with it? Is there anything I can change?

Last edited:

Kwoth

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 6, 2010
Also found out that changing the resolution on the second (black) monitor results in waking the monitor up.
And using HDMI to HDMI didn't cause a problem after switched sources and coming back. (But is not an option as the Ypbpr accurs via HDMI.)

Somehow the mini is not sending an "active" signal to the Dell after switched input sources. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Kwoth

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 6, 2010
Thanks - just edited my last the post. HDMI would work on the mini but would cause new problems (no RGB with HDMI) so it needs to be DP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.