Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac2004

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 17, 2004
I’m seriously thinking tonight about getting Mac Mini M2 Pro with 16GB memory and 512GB hard drive. The M3 IMacs with 16GB of memory would take a month to be shipped and I want something much sooner. If I go this option then what monitor goes well with a Mac Mini M2 Pro? I do photography as a hobby so I would like a monitor with a good resolution and good reputation (quality). I’m not interested in the Apple displays as they just way too pricey for me. I’m looking for something that is affordable but also very good. I’ve heard good things on the Dell and BenQ monitors. I prefer 27” but I would settle for a 24” monitor.

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan
I just bought the same M2 Pro Mini you're considering and I went with the LG 32UQ850-W, a 32-inch monitor that I believe may only be currently being sold in South Korea and here in Japan. However, you mentioned you were interested in a 27" and the 27" version, LG 27UQ850-W is widely available

The Dell U3223QE (32") and U2723QE (27") use the exact same LG panels as well and have excellent reviews.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mac2004

picpicmac

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2023
There are older threads here with extensive monitor discussions.

As for Youtube channels - I am weary of any channel that gets spiffs (from the products they "review", see the many Amazon links in the video descriptions, for example.)

One channel to check out, and they have a website worth visiting:

They've done extensive monitor tests. Many monitors don't do so well in their tests.

Also, how important is interoperability for you? Only the Apple monitors will give you the fully integrated experience. LG claims to sell a couple of monitors that are intended for Mac use, with as much interoperability (e.g., ability to dim the monitor from your keyboard) as possible, but I am scared off by the various negative reviews (see Amazon) for these models.

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan
There are older threads here with extensive monitor discussions.

As for Youtube channels - I am weary of any channel that gets spiffs (from the products they "review", see the many Amazon links in the video descriptions, for example.)

I am currently using the 32" version of the monitor reviewed in the video and can personally attest to its excellent quality and value for the price I paid for it.

If you bothered to watch the video or read the video description you would have clearly seen the disclaimer that the creator gets fees from the affiliate links. I don't see any problem with that, particularly when they state it up front and openly.

One channel to check out, and they have a website worth visiting:

They've done extensive monitor tests. Many monitors don't do so well in their tests.

I like this site myself. Please note that just like the YouTube link I posted, they profit from affiliate links on their website.

Also, how important is interoperability for you? Only the Apple monitors will give you the fully integrated experience. LG claims to sell a couple of monitors that are intended for Mac use, with as much interoperability (e.g., ability to dim the monitor from your keyboard) as possible, but I am scared off by the various negative reviews (see Amazon) for these models.

I purchased and installed the pro version of BetterDisplay and now my Apple wired keyboard's brightness keys work just fine. I'm not sure that feature would be worth paying 4 times more for an Apple Studio Display by the way but to each their own.

Speaking of Amazon, the LG 27UQ850-W has a 4.5 of 5 rating with almost 2000 reviews and the Dell Utrasharp U2723QE (as mentioned using the exact same LG panel) has the same with almost 500 reviews.

I'm not sure where you're seeing all these negative reviews.

Last edited:

picpicmac

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2023
Speaking of Amazon, the LG 27UQ850-W has a 4.5 of 5 rating with almost 2000 reviews and the Dell Utrasharp U2723QE (as mentioned using the exact same LG panel) has the same with almost 500 reviews.

I'm not sure where you're seeing all these negative reviews.

The Amazon link you give for the Dell has a 4.3 rating. 460 ratings with 8% at one star. That 8% is rather a high fraction compared to many top-name brand products.

Now the problem with Amazon ratings and reviews it that the people submitting them can rate on anything, including Amazon shipping, support etc.

I've looked at that Dell and it is on my shortlist. But I would buy it direct from Dell to get their full support.

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan
I actually had originally decided on the Dell U3223QE but then the LG 32UQ850-W went on sale for about the equivalent of $150 US less. Both had excellent reviews here and since they both used the same panel I decided to go with the savings.

It's been a few weeks now and I am completely satisfied with the quality of this display. I switched from a 2017 27" iMac with the 5K LG panel. I am running at non-native 3008x1692 with BetterDisplay HiDPI and the text looks just as crisp and clean as it did on the iMac.

This panel also produces the best black I have ever seen on an IPS monitor. It's really impressive. I have no issues with backlight bleed either.

weaztek

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2009
Madison
Excellent 32" 4k, monitors are widely-available for <$300 these days. I love mine, but run it at 3k (which is not a native resolution) because text gets too small for me at 4k.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.