Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

samanthas

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 21, 2005
Portland, OR
I'm not sure where to put this actually, but I was just wondering if the current Mac Mini 1.4Ghz could be upgraded to 10.5 Leopard when it comes out? I'm hearing about how the Mac Mini has some trouble with Tiger (and I'm not sure if it was due to the low amount of ram which they fixed, or the current small video card) -- I'm just worried that if I buy it I wont be able to upgrade when the time comes and therefore don't see the point in buying at this point. I don't have the money to upgrade computers ever year.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Uh...

samanthas said:
I'm not sure where to put this actually, but I was just wondering if the current Mac Mini 1.4Ghz could be upgraded to 10.5 Leopard when it comes out? I'm hearing about how the Mac Mini has some trouble with Tiger (and I'm not sure if it was due to the low amount of ram which they fixed, or the current small video card) -- I'm just worried that if I buy it I wont be able to upgrade when the time comes and therefore don't see the point in buying at this point. I don't have the money to upgrade computers ever year.

Sorry if I am rude...but what in the heck are you talking about? Problems with Tiger?
Yes, a computer bought this year will be able to run next year's OS. Tiger supports computers available since 1999 (wasn't that the first year they all had built-in USB?)

ohcrap

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2005
samanthas said:
I'm hearing about how the Mac Mini has some trouble with Tiger
You will hear (mostly from the more-spoiled Mac users) that ALL Mac's have trouble with Tiger. Not true. Just as with any OS, sometimes you have software problems and unique issues that are uncommon in most cases, but for the most part, everything should be fine. Also, there is no reason a Mac Mini should have problems running Tiger or Leopard when it is released.

EvilDoc

macrumors 6502a
Only thing the mini doesnt support under tiger is core image. and right now only thing core image does is the widget ripple thing... who knows what OSX 10.5 will do with core image... i have a mini and i have tiger, and it runs fine. ( i threw in a gig of ram which made a huge diffrence ) ;)

ScubaDuc

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2003
Europe
samanthas said:

Are you referring to core image compatibility? If so, it is true. You will not have all the video effects on Tiger with the mini and that is the reason everyone is moaning for an upgrade. You don't think we'd be holding our breath for a very minor speed bump, would you? ;)

Edit: sorry, I was beaten to the post!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.