Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

multicore

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2009
Theres a cord that is stuck to one end of the HD. If you plan on upgrading the HD, you have to peel off the end of the wire thats stuck to it with double sided tape.

Its the little black cord hanging out on the bottom of the image.

Krafty, thanks for the reply. I did the ram upgrade but didn't change the hard drive and didn't notice any hanging cord from the drive assembly. Did I miss something? Does it become disconnected when removing the drive assembly?

lisaann

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2009
My current mini has ddr3 and has the hdd heat sensor.
My last mini was ddr2 and did not have the hdd heat sensor.
But now that it has been a few days with no problems since the upgrade.
I think that the very slight whirring that I still hear is just the hard drive spinning, it is a 7200 rpm so I would imagine it might make just a little noise.
I can barely hear it if the room is dead quiet, so I can live with that.

Krafty

macrumors 601
Dec 31, 2007
La La Land
Krafty, thanks for the reply. I did the ram upgrade but didn't change the hard drive and didn't notice any hanging cord from the drive assembly. Did I miss something? Does it become disconnected when removing the drive assembly?
It's tape onto the end of the HD. You have to remove it to take the hard drive out.

dyn

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2009
.nl
Are u saying that hard drives have built-in heat sensors in them?
In this case it's the only explanation I have, it's also what the ssd manufacturer told. It's not a weird thing for components to have a temperature sensor inside. The cpu has one too and it's more accurate than the one underneath the heatsink/socket (the difference can be around 10 degrees celsius). It's not very sensible to measure the outside temperature on components inside small boxes like notebooks and Mac mini's because there will be a lot of build up heat inside the machine and thus resulting in inaccurate temperature readouts. The best way to measure any components temperature would be by using the built-in sensor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.