Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

booty156

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 29, 2016
Hey, i was just wondering how good my mac mini mid 2007 with 2.0ghz core 2 duo CPU, 4gb RAM and an SSD would work on Yosemite?
Thanks Kai

jpietrzak8

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
Hey, i was just wondering how good my mac mini mid 2007 with 2.0ghz core 2 duo CPU, 4gb RAM and an SSD would work on Yosemite?
Thanks Kai

Hmm. I suspect it'd be a bit of a drag compared to using 10.6 or 10.7. For one thing, the GUI in more recent versions of OS X seems to include more animations, which the old GMA 950 GPU isn't going to help much with. (Although I guess you can turn animations off, from what the first post in the other thread mentions.)

For another thing, recent versions of OS X consume a lot more RAM. You should expect Yosemite to take something like a third of your 4 GB just for itself.

Still, you shouldn't have too much trouble otherwise. My mother is currently running a 2009 Mini on El Capitan; that machine has fairly similar specs to the 2007 version (albeit with a notably superior GPU). It initially bogged down to being unusable when she upgraded to Yosemite, but after increasing the RAM from 2 to 4 GB, the machine has performed fine for her tasks (mostly e-mail, web, and casual gaming).

Reactions: booty156

booty156

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 29, 2016
Thanks for your help. It will be mostly used for Internet and e-mails. I just want it to have to new look and does your mother use an ssd?

Along as it loads up Internet and email quick I be happy. How fast does your open?

Last edited:

jpietrzak8

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
Thanks for your help. It will be mostly used for Internet and e-mails. I just want it to have to new look and does your mother use an ssd?

Along as it loads up Internet and email quick I be happy. How fast does your open?

She does not use an SSD, so applications load just as slowly as they do with any version of the OS. :) An SSD, of course, provides a huge improvement in that area. Once the apps are loaded into memory, they should run just as fast on Yosemite as they do in Snow Leopard or Lion. :)

booty156

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 29, 2016
Okay thanks also, would it be possible to add more vram to the GPU for my RAM, for example add 256-512mb instead of 64mb?
Thanks for all your help :)

Cancelled
Mar 19, 2009
Okay thanks also, would it be possible to add more vram to the GPU for my RAM, for example add 256-512mb instead of 64mb?
Thanks for all your help :)

No it's not possible to do that. You can only upgrade the system memory; however you will find the biggest increase in performance if you upgrade to an SSD because a mechanical hard drive is often the main performance bottleneck in older Macs.

Your Mac should certainly run OS X Yosemite very well if it has an SSD. At the very least consider upgrading your system memory to 8 GB, but again you'll notice the biggest difference to performance by swapping out the mechanical hard drive for an SSD.

If you decide to upgrade to OS X Yosemite, I would strongly advise you to perform a full Time Machine hard disk backup beforehand in case you find OS X Yosemite to perform worse than the version of OS X that you currently have installed. In which case you'll be able to easily 'downgrade,' so your Mac is back to how it was before.

booty156

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 29, 2016
No it's not possible to do that. You can only upgrade the system memory; however you will find the biggest increase in performance if you upgrade to an SSD because a mechanical hard drive is often the main performance bottleneck in older Macs.

Your Mac should certainly run OS X Yosemite very well if it has an SSD. At the very least consider upgrading your system memory to 8 GB, but again you'll notice the biggest difference to performance by swapping out the mechanical hard drive for an SSD.

If you decide to upgrade to OS X Yosemite, I would strongly advise you to perform a full Time Machine hard disk backup beforehand in case you find OS X Yosemite to perform worse than the version of OS X that you currently have installed. In which case you'll be able to easily 'downgrade,' so your Mac is back to how it was before.
Thanks for the help! I have upgraded to an ssd and 4gb of RAM. But sadly anything more then 4gb is not support. But I will try out Yosemite soon and hope I will be able to use it fine and it to be fast enough to for me. Thanks for everyone's help really appreciate it :)!

Reactions: jpietrzak8

jpietrzak8

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2010
Dayton, Ohio

Technically, the GMA 950 can manage up to 224 MB of RAM, but Apple caps the maximum amount at 64 MB (plus an additional 16 MB for use by the OS, so 80 MB in total). Sorry, don't know a way around that. (Although, if you boot the machine with Windows, you will be able to use all 224 MB, from what I've read.)
[doublepost=1464567633][/doublepost]
you will find the biggest increase in performance if you upgrade to an SSD because a mechanical hard drive is often the main performance bottleneck in older Macs.

I think the main performance bottleneck in older Mac Minis is going to be the GPU, followed by the RAM (as modern applications demand a lot more from these components). Unfortunately, the GPU cannot be upgraded in these machines. An SSD will of course provide blazing fast data transfer speeds, which will significantly improve boot-up and application load times, but most common apps do not spend all their time transferring data to and from long-term storage while running.

At the very least consider upgrading your system memory to 8 GB

Sadly, as booty156 noted above, the 2007 Mini is limited to a maximum of 4 GB of RAM.

Last edited:

booty156

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 29, 2016
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OS_X_Yosemite

Yosemite requires a MM2009 and after. But there could be some hack or workaround for it to work as always
Yes it's not officially supported but there are way around this. This is why I was asking about how bad it would be when trying to run Yosemite
The best tutorial I found is LINK.

Technically, the GMA 950 can manage up to 224 MB of RAM, but Apple caps the maximum amount at 64 MB (plus an additional 16 MB for use by the OS, so 80 MB in total). Sorry, don't know a way around that. (Although, if you boot the machine with Windows, you will be able to use all 224 MB, from what I've read.)
[doublepost=1464567633][/doublepost]

I think the main performance bottleneck in older Mac Minis is going to be the GPU, followed by the RAM (as modern applications demand a lot more from these components). Unfortunately, the GPU cannot be upgraded in these machines. An SSD will of course provide blazing fast data transfer speeds, which will significantly improve boot-up and application load times, but most common apps do not spend all their time transferring data to and from long-term storage while running.

Sadly, as booty156 noted above, the 2007 Mini is limited to a maximum of 4 GB of RAM.

Thanks for all the help

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.