Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JulPollitt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 29, 2019
I recently acquired a Mid-2010 Mac Mini that I plan on using as simply an iTunes homesharing server for the plethora of iOS device in my home. I’m currently looking to upgrade the HDD but I’m wondering about what kind of limitations I will run into. I know back in the day the max for this model would be around 1tb if you removed the optical drive and installed 2 500gbs drives, but considering now you can purchase a 9.5mm 2TB HDD, would it be possible to install one or even 2 into a 2010 Mac Mini? Are there any kind of software or hardware limitations to prevent the OS from handling it?

JulPollitt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 29, 2019
I know that it’s physically possible to do so, but I’m wondering if the motherboard had any sort of limitations that would prevent modern 2TB drives from working. No avail be guides that I can’t find put in that much, especially in a single slot.

Cheapassmac

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2018
I don't think there's a motherboard issue on this model, but consider doing this project on a 2012 mac or later.

Apple literally just killed iTunes and replacing it with a new music app in the next version of Mac Os Catalina. There's no guarantee that your server will play nice with your iOS devices as early as this fall.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.