Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

juancarlord

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 25, 2019
Hey guys first time posting on this forum ever in my life.
Yesterday I upgraded my Mac mini drive to a Samsung 860 SSD but when I tested the drive speed it never reached max potential! I got around 200mb/s RW.

I would like to mention that this SSD was previously installed on my Windows pc and the RW speeds where 500mb/s.

AND YES Trim is already enabled and the disk was formatted as APFS.

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
Hey guys first time posting on this forum ever in my life.
Yesterday I upgraded my Mac mini drive to a Samsung 860 SSD but when I tested the drive speed it never reached max potential! I got around 200mb/s RW.

I would like to mention that this SSD was previously installed on my Windows pc and the RW speeds where 500mb/s.

AND YES Trim is already enabled and the disk was formatted as APFS.

Hello, @juancarlord. Welcome to the forum. The speed seems normal. I have a Crucial M500 SSD on my MacMini 2010. It was a good SATA-III SSD at the launch date and should reach ~500MB/s on sequential reads. However, the Mini 2010 has a SATA-II controller, so it will reach around 250MB/s. I also have a 2009 unibody Macbook with a Samsung 840 EVO and it only reaches 250MB/s because of the SATA-II controller.

You could try adding an OWC data doubler on your Mini and setup a RAID0 with two identical SSDs to reach SATA-III speed. I saw on YouTube people that successfully set up a RAID0 on a MacMini 2012 (SATA-III controllers) and this way it can reach around 900MB/s, which is pretty nice. You can be one of the few people that tried on a Mini 2010. I have a data doubler on mine, but I use it as a Time Machine unit with a 2TB HDD, otherwise I'd give a chance to the RAID0.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.