Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scorpion2782

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 1, 2020
I bought a Mac Mini mid 2011 and sometimes i have an hard reboot. I thought it was a power problem and I replaced it but nothing seems to have changed.

If i execute log show --predicate 'eventMessage contains "Previous shutdown cause"' --last 1h the result is kernel: (AppleSMC) Previous shutdown cause: -128

I searched online but i cannot find anything.

Any suggestion?

iluvmacs99

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2019
I bought a Mac Mini mid 2011 and sometimes i have an hard reboot. I thought it was a power problem and I replaced it but nothing seems to have changed.

If i execute log show --predicate 'eventMessage contains "Previous shutdown cause"' --last 1h the result is kernel: (AppleSMC) Previous shutdown cause: -128

I searched online but i cannot find anything.

Any suggestion?

Do you have any USB devices attached to the Mini? If you do, disconnect all of the devices except your mouse and keyboard. Then reboot and see if you see a hard reboot. If you do, then exchange the USB keyboard with another keyboard to see if you see a hard reboot.

When you have defective USB devices or an underpowered USB hub, it will cause the Mini to crash or reboot. I have the same mini as yours, so I am speaking from experience. I had a defective USB hub that crashed my mini and I had a defective USB keyboard that did the same. If none of the USB devices are causing the reboot, then check your boot drive. It could be failing or else it is close to full and are having problems page swapping due to limited RAM on your mini. You should have at least 20% of free space on your main boot drive reserved for page swapping.

Hope this helps.

Scorpion2782

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 1, 2020
Ram checked, usb checked (i need to try with bluetooth keyboard), thermal paste replaced but the result is the same: reboot and shutdown cause -128.
Sometimes after this reboot the screen still black and the fan is loudly

hobowankenobi

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2015
on the land line mr. smith.
Have you ruled out software/OS? Booting to external would also test SATA bus/cable.

RAM can pass all tests and still be problematic, as can a bad RAM slot. I would try one stick at time you is can:

test 1: RAM 1 in slot 1
test 2: RAM 1 in slot 2
test 3: RAM 2 in slot 1
test 4: RAM 2 in slot 2

If any of the above is stable...you have a winner. If none of the above works, either it is not RAM....or possibly both sticks are bad. Unlikely, but possible.

Scorpion2782

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 1, 2020
what i don't understand is why sometimes when i reboot so the screen stays completely black, nothing happens and the fan starts at maximum

Scorpion2782

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 1, 2020
could it be the fan that is shorting? I read a little online that sometimes the temperature sensor is in the fan

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.