Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 11, 2005
I have a MacMice 'The Mouse BT' Bluetooth mouse. I have had it for over a year and used it with both a 12" PB and a Dell Inspiron and it worked flawlessly with both.

I just got a Mac Mini and picked up an Apple Wireless Keyboard to pair with the Mini along with the mouse. The keyboard works great, no problems at all. The mouse keeps losing its connection, giving me the connection lost logo on the screen. I can re-establish the connection by turning the mouse off and back on and clicking until it responds. It will lose the connection randomly and quite often to the point that it is a big nuisance.

I have called Applecare and they have walked me through the steps of resetting the PRAM as well unplugging everything from the Mini and rebooting, then reconnecting. I even replaced the batteries yesterday and that didn't help.

Anyone have any ideas on what it might be before I have to take it to Apple and have them look at it. I don't want to do an archive and install, I don't see that as fixing it. I also am wary of taking it in, since I installed the 2GB RAM that is in it. Do I have to swap that back out for the 512 just to have someone at a store look at it?

Aperture

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2006
PA
As a general rule, take out the RAM you installed before taking it in for service. Apple might give you the 3rd party RAM speech otherwise.

Kevin

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
It's probably the antenna. The Mini antenna is sometimes loose and always in a poor position, being horizontal. Some are better than others, some people have placed antennas on the outside to increase performance.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 11, 2005
Is it possible I messed the antenna up putting in the RAM?

The board works just fine though.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
I never took mine apart, so I can't say anything concrete. But there were several reports of people reseating or more firmly inserting the wire from the antenna to the LB (or wherever it goes) and getting far better reception immediately.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.