Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LP15

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 15, 2009
Hi,

My late 2011 Mac Mini has decided to stop working. It started with restarting itself on occasion so I decided to do a fresh install and reset everything (PRAM, NVRAM, SMC). It was running Mavericks. I did a reinstall via internet boot, via bootable USB and disc and every time it would still shutdown during power up if install worked, a few times install didn't work, a couple of times it got through but would only last about an hour and pack it in again. I've tried Mavericks and Yosemite and Snow Leopard installs, different RAM, I've checked hard drive health via disk utility with no issues, have used the MAC test function with two passes and no reported issues. The system says everything is fine, that the hard drive is fine, that everything is fine but it still keeps shutting down?!!!

I'm leaning towards a dodgy SSD but everything says it's fine, is there any other way to test the SSD more thoroughly without buying a new one and swapping them out? Or does anyone have any insights into what else it might be? (Power module is fine as mac will stay on as long as it's on when in recovery mode).

Please help, this is my workhorse that I use everyday.

Edit: Extended Apple hardware test has been done with 2 extended passes, no issues.

Mac Crashes even when OSX run from USB, if put to sleep mac restarts immediately, does so when putting display to sleep as well, does this when OSX is run from hard drive or USB. Energy save is off/never.

Last edited:

wlossw

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2012
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Hi,

My late 2011 Mac Mini has decided to stop working. It started with restarting itself on occasion so I decided to do a fresh install and reset everything (PRAM, NVRAM, SMC). It was running Mavericks. I did a reinstall via internet boot, via bootable USB and disc and every time it would still shutdown during power up if install worked, a few times install didn't work, a couple of times it got through but would only last about an hour and pack it in again. I've tried Mavericks and Yosemite and Snow Leopard installs, different RAM, I've checked hard drive health via disk utility with no issues, have used the MAC test function with two passes and no reported issues. The system says everything is fine, that the hard drive is fine, that everything is fine but it still keeps shutting down?!!!

I'm leaning towards a dodgy SSD but everything says it's fine, is there any other way to test the SSD more thoroughly without buying a new one and swapping them out? Or does anyone have any insights into what else it might be? (Power module is fine as mac will stay on as long as it's on when in recovery mode).

Please help, this is my workhorse that I use everyday.

1. Try installing to an external usb drive and booting from that. This would eliminate the SSD as a problem...

2.Maybe your machine is overheating: Are you seeing any temperature spikes? Try running an app that lets you monitor your devices various temp sensors...

LP15

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 15, 2009
1. Try installing to an external usb drive and booting from that. This would eliminate the SSD as a problem...

2.Maybe your machine is overheating: Are you seeing any temperature spikes? Try running an app that lets you monitor your devices various temp sensors...

Will try your first option again as I can't recall if I tried booting from the USB or just installing from it.

Option 2 is a non issue as I've left it turn off overnight to try again in the morning and it still does the same thing.

Will let you know how I go booting from USB.

Cheers

Phil in ocala

Suspended
Jul 14, 2016
Buy: Disk warrior....I have a mac mini too and it has helped me many times....a Apple employee at Apple Store in Tampa recommended it and its just great.

LP15

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 15, 2009
Buy: Disk warrior....I have a mac mini too and it has helped me many times....a Apple employee at Apple Store in Tampa recommended it and its just great.

I'm a student so trying not to outlay money......I did look at that program but for $119.95?! I may as well take it to a tech.

LP15

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 15, 2009

It will boot from USB and from there I reformatted the HD again and partitioned it with a new install, rebooted with it and it worked for a little bit and then the same problems. I booted again from USB and tried to put the display to sleep (all energy saver options are off/never) and the system restarted just like it does when booting from HD, so would this mean there's something up with the machine or perhaps an internal hardware or script/code error? I've tried just leaving it on and turning the screen off via the tv but after awhile the system still eventually shuts down.

wlossw

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2012
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
It will boot from USB and from there I reformatted the HD again and partitioned it with a new install, rebooted with it and it worked for a little bit and then the same problems. I booted again from USB and tried to put the display to sleep (all energy saver options are off/never) and the system restarted just like it does when booting from HD, so would this mean there's something up with the machine or perhaps an internal hardware or script/code error? I've tried just leaving it on and turning the screen off via the tv but after awhile the system still eventually shuts down.

you now know that your is install is not the cause. problem is not software.

you also can eliminate your ssd as a problem.

if i where you i would run the extended apple hardware test :
https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201257

it takes a looooong time. see if it reports any errors.

LP15

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 15, 2009
you now know that your is install is not the cause. problem is not software.

you also can eliminate your ssd as a problem.

if i where you i would run the extended apple hardware test :
https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201257

it takes a looooong time. see if it reports any errors.

Thanks, but I've done that test already with 2 extended passes and no reported issues?! I'm confused as hell.

Partron22

macrumors 68030
Apr 13, 2011
Yes
Might be as simple as a bad kybd or mouse.
Devices that pull too much juice from USB can crash your mac.
Might be an intermittent.
Borrow some replacements.

LP15

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 15, 2009
Might be as simple as a bad kybd or mouse.
Devices that pull too much juice from USB can crash your mac.
Might be an intermittent.
Borrow some replacements.

It's a bluetooth trackpad and wired keyboard, I've detached everything from the other ports, I highly doubt one USB keyboard would crash a mac consistently. It's not an intermittent problem anymore, well, sometimes it stays on for 5 or so minutes more than others but always crashes and always restarts when I try to put the mac or even the display to sleep. I have read similar to what you are suggesting though, but it's more about dodgy usb hubs, I believe. Thanks anyways.
[doublepost=1494374640][/doublepost]I've gotten an email back from a mac repair place near where I live, they think with everything I've done and all the info I've given that it's likely a logic board issue and likely needs replacing if I'm 100% sure it's not the memory. Thoughts?

wlossw

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2012
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
It's a bluetooth trackpad and wired keyboard, I've detached everything from the other ports, I highly doubt one USB keyboard would crash a mac consistently. It's not an intermittent problem anymore, well, sometimes it stays on for 5 or so minutes more than others but always crashes and always restarts when I try to put the mac or even the display to sleep. I have read similar to what you are suggesting though, but it's more about dodgy usb hubs, I believe. Thanks anyways.
[doublepost=1494374640][/doublepost]I've gotten an email back from a mac repair place near where I live, they think with everything I've done and all the info I've given that it's likely a logic board issue and likely needs replacing if I'm 100% sure it's not the memory. Thoughts?

you're screwed.

LP15

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 15, 2009
good luck! if you do figure it out, keep us posted!

Cheers man, will do. Considering trying the ovenbake method for ***** and giggles if I don't find any other workarounds, works with some MBPs and I think mine ****ed out due to it overheating a couple of times. See how I go.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
The power supply on the 2011 model is internal, correct?
Could it be a power supply problem? Overheating?

Might be a "cable connection" problem inside. That is, over time as heat builds up, connections warm up, perhaps connection contacts "open up" as well -- and then act flaky.

Have you tried removing the RAM, cleaning the contacts, and replacing?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.